PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Looking for a Project-Based unit that will cover the entire New Grade 5 Social Studies - First Nations and Europeans in Early Canada curriculum?
This well thought-out unit covers the whole curriculum and can best be described as Guided Inquiry as it includes Research-Based projects, but also Guides students through the process every step of the way. This is an Inquiry Unit that will not leave any students behind. You will love it and your kids will too. Simply open and follow the plan, no extras required.
The unit is also very Cross-Curricular in its design as it covers many Language strands as well: Reading - R.A.N. Research, Oral Language - Presentations, Media - Posters and Multimedia Presentations. It even has a Drama component!
This full unit addresses the New Social Studies curriculum for Grade 5: Strand A - Heritage and Identity - First Nations and Europeans in New France and Early Canada. It includes:
- Unit Plan
- Research Project Outline
- Research Project Inquiry Planner
- Lesson Sequence and Plans
- Some Things to Wonder About Anchor Chart
- R.A.N. Research Learning Goal & Success Criteria
- R.A.N. Headings – Whole Class
- R.A.N. Chart
- Exemplar Images
- Information Report Organizer
- Useful Research Sites
- Mi’kmaq Exemplar Presentation
- Ojibwe Exemplar Presentation
- Research Project Rubric – General
- Research Project Rubric – Co-Constructed
- Social Studies Rubric
- Oral Presentation Rubric
- Media Form Rubric – General
- Contact Consequences Venn Diagram Activity Outline
- Impact of Contact Between First Nations and Explorers
- First Nations – Results of Contact
- Results of Contact Matching Activity – Lesson Outline
- First Nations – Perspective Drama
- Drama Rubric – General
- First Nations – Present-Day Issues Poster Activity
- Explorers Advance Organizer for Wall
- Explorers Advance Organizer for Notebook
Ditch the units that have you photocopying worksheets for each student every lesson. This Guided Inquiry unit will be better for you AND your students!
Teaching a grade 5/6 spilt? This unit matches up perfectly with our Grade 6 - Communities in Canada package.