Grade 6 Space Unit
This unit has been designed using the Ontario Science Curriculum and the grade 6 overall and specific expectations. Attached below are a series of lesson plans, to be taught in order. Each lesson plan contains success criteria, learning goals, and the overall and specific expectations covered in that lesson. There is a significant language cross-curricular link as well, which will be attached as a media literacy task after the 1th1 lesson.
• Make sure to double check the materials required for each lesson ahead of time, as several of them require laptops, books, print outs, chalk, extra paper, etc
• Handouts included will be attached below the corresponding lesson plan
• Some lessons will require you to create a simple resource, like writing planet names on a cue card, as I cannot put that into a PDF
Learning goals for this unit
• Be able to identify major components of the solar system including the sun, the earth and other planets. Ability to successfully label and organize the order of planets in the solar system as well as describe five important details or facts about one or more of the eight planets. Be able to successfully identify and label the phases of the moon and describe the relationship between the earth, sun and moon.
• By the end of the unit be able to assess the impact of space exploration on society and the environment. The contribution of Canada and Canadians on space exploration and as explorers of space will be identified. For example: PowerPoint presentation, journal entries and class discussion.