Also included in
- Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A and B French Edition: Teachers are provided with 29 in-depth, engaging, and cross-curricular lessons to help their students explore and understand Communities in Canada, Past and Present and Canada’s Interactions With The Global Community.This resource includes answer$39.99$44.98Save $4.99
Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A French Edition: Teachers are provided with 16 in-depth, engaging, and cross-curricular lessons to help their students explore and understand Heritage and Identity: Communities in Canada, Past and Present. This resource includes answer keys and individual PDFs of student pages to support online learning such as Google Classroom.
Curriculum Alignment: Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2018 Grade 6 Strand A.
1. Introduction: Building Vocabulary & Map Creation
2. What Shapes Our Canadian Identity?
3. Canadian Identity: Fundamentals
4. Canadian Identity: Indigenous Canadians
5. Canadian Identity: Settler Communities
6. Canadian Identity: Inclusiveness
7. Historical Perspectives: Communities Inquiry
8. Traditional Territories
9. Migration Reasons
10. Settler Life in Canada
11. Economic Development
12. Creation of Nunavut, Nunavik, and Nunatsiavut
13. Community Developments
14. Interactions Between Settler Communities
15. Differences Between Communities
16. How Did You Get Here?
- This unit was translated for use in a French Immersion classroom. Lesson plans and answer keys are in English, all student pages are written in French.
- Regular and reliable internet is required for this unit.
- Research is not included for inquiry stations. Students must gather the research themselves from a textbook, non-fiction books or online sources.
Need to go paperless? Check out the digital expansion pack for this unit. This expansion pack contains all of the student output pages in a Google Slides format. This will save you time at the photocopier! Note: The expansion pack is NOT a complete unit. You will need to purchase the complete unit. Find the digital expansion pack here.
- Individual PDFs of all student pages for online learning i.e. Google Classroom
- Detailed unit plan and daily lesson plans
- 16 Lessons
- Answer keys
- Differentiated lesson and assessment formats
- Lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- Lots of variety and student choice on assignments
- Detailed teacher and student directions
- Q Chart to help students formulate good questions
- Inquiry stations research folder cover pages
- Inquiry station cards with detailed instructions
- Inquiry station graphic organizers to help students with their research
- Oral presentation assessment rubric
- Historical content assessment rubric
- Quizzes to check for understanding
- “I absolutely swear by these units! It made planning SO easy. We just finished this unit last week and I was blown away by how engaging the lessons are. The video links and activities are perfect for Grade 6 level students. The level of French is also great for Grade 6FI students. I have a lot of favourite aspects but my two top are: 1) The easy PDF/digital files. I used this unit both in person and during the transition to remote learning and the unit is set up to be easily used for both teaching methods! 2) The final task! I really enjoyed the final task for this unit and so did my students. The presentations they created on the immigration stories were very impressive. Feedback I got from my students was "I really liked that you gave us the guiding questions. That made our research easy"
- “Go-To resource for social studies. Saved me so much time in terms of planning. High recommend it”
- “This unit has it all! It's detailed and engaging. The students are really enjoying it. Thank you!”