(Grade 7 Science: Alberta Curriculum)
With climate change and unsustainable uses of the world’s resources and land, governments across the world are collaborating to build an alternate settlement for the entire human race. As a world renowned Botanist and Environmental Specialist, you are a critical part of the scientific team tasked with determining whether the human race will survive by building underground bunkers or space station colonies. Your task is to advise the government about the development of a farming site inside an underground bunker or space station. You will select plant species and determine farming conditions including water supply, light sources, germination, pest control, and crop sustainability. Human survival depends on your team’s efforts.
- Investigate the positives and negatives of farming, greenhouses, and subterranean farming practices relating to sustainability and plant production (STSK 1)
- Investigate and describe the adaptive structures, functions, and requirements of seed plants in subterranean and artificial environments (STSK 2)
- Describe methods to increase yields by modifying a subterranean environment and creating an artificial environment including soil content, nutrient levels, space requirements, and moisture needs (STSK 3)
- Identify the intended and unintended consequences for selective breeding, sustainable practices, and environmental management (STSK 4)
- Define terms, identify problems, provide solutions, predict the success of the solution (S-IP)
- Research information, sketch a scale drawing, and build a model of a farm structure (S-PR)
- Complete a report booklet and self reflection (S-CT2,3).
Specific to this task:
- Venn Diagram for comparing and contrasting traditional farms, greenhouses, and subterranean farms (Appendix A)
- Subterranean Farm Site Specifications (Appendix B)
- Space Station Farm Site Specifications (Appendix C)
- Useful websites (Appendix D)
- Research Questions to guide students through their investigation (Appendix E)
- Teacher “Check in” points for formative assessment (within Appendix F)
- Once students have completed their research, they will complete a pros and cons chart for each site to determine which site the farm should be built on (Appendix G).
- Scale Drawing Task (Appendix H)
- 3D Model Proposal (Appendix I)
- Student Checklist (Appendix J)
- Performance Assessment Rubric (Appendix K)
- Self Reflection (Appendix L)