In the Grade 7: Natural Resources around the World - Use and Sustainability
unit, students will study the extraction and harvesting and use of natural resources on a global scale. Students are asked to examine the relationship between the Earth’s physical features and the distribution and use of natural resources while exploring ways of preserving global resources. Students will be identifying and compare the ways in which resources are extracted from countries around the world and identify how we can use and extract resources in a more sustainable way.
This activity packet provides you with lessons, activities, readings and rubrics that can be used to address the following Grade 7 Geography overall expectations:
- Analyze aspects of the extraction/harvesting and use of natural resources in different regions of the world, and assess ways of preserving these resources.
- Use the geographic inquiry process to investigate issues related to the impact of the extract / harvesting and/or use of natural resources around the world from a geographic perspective.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the sources and use of different types of natural resources and of some of the effects of the extraction / harvesting and use of these resources.
This packet also addresses the following big ideas:
- Resource development is affected by social, political, economic, and geographic factors.
- The ways in which people extract and use natural resources can have social, economic, political, and environmental consequences.
- There is a relationship between Earth’s physical features and the distribution of natural resources and how people use these resources to meet their needs and wants.
What lessons are included in this packet?
This packet is thorough in the sense that it includes 18 in-depth lessons that help to cover the specific and overall expectations as well as the big ideas. Some lessons are designed to set the stage for students in terms of content knowledge and terminology, and other lessons are designed to have students further investigate the use of natural resources. The lessons included in this packet are:
Lesson 2.1: Introducing the Unit
Lesson 2.2: Categorizing Resources
Lesson 2.3: Natural Resources in Canada
Lesson 2.4: Natural Resources around the World
Lesson 2.5: Meeting Needs and Wants
Lesson 2.6: Needs, Wants and the Environment
Lesson 2.7: Needs, Wants, and the Environment
Lesson 2.8: Natural Resource Extraction and Harvesting
Lesson 2.9: The Impact of Extraction and Harvesting
Lesson 2.10: Natural Environment Challenges
Lesson 2.11: Considering Perspectives
Lesson 2.12: Perspective Taking
Lesson 2.13: Responses to Challenges
Lesson 2.14: Ethical Resources
Lesson 2.15: Responses to Challenges
Lesson 2.16: Organizations and Agencies
Lesson 2.17: Assessing Sustainability
Lesson 2.18: Creating a Plan
Lesson 2A: Energy Use
Lesson 2B: Fossil Fuels
Lesson 2C: Assessing the Impact
There are 26 activity worksheets, 7 readings, 4 self-reflection cards, and 8 rubrics. Several of the activities presented in this packet can be used as assignments, but it is up to your discretion to use them as such.
What assessments are included?
There are 8 rubrics to assess student understanding of the concepts addressed in this unit. Please note that there are no answer keys provided in this packet, as many activities involve an open answer and it is up to you to determine whether students have appropriately demonstrated their knowledge. There is no final test as students had previously demonstrated their understanding of the unit concepts in a variety of other ways.
I am here to help! If you have any questions about this unit, or any of my units, please leave me a question under the Q&A tab below. Or, you can email me at email@example.com.
Have a product request?
Please fill out this Google Form to request a product to be made.
Looking for other Geography resources?
Grade 7, Unit 1: Physical Patterns in a Changing World
Grade 8, Unit 1: Global Settlements - Patterns and Sustainability
Grade 8, Unit 2: Global Inequalities - Quality of Life and Economic Development