This activity packet is aligned with the Ontario Grade 7 Health curriculum. This packet addresses the following specific expectations:
- Explain the importance of having a shared understanding with a partner about the following: delaying sexual activity until they are older; the reasons for not engaging in sexual activity; the concept of consent and how consent is communicated; and, in general, the need to communicate clearly with each other when making decisions about sexual activity in the relationship;
- Identify common sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and describe their symptoms;
- Identify ways of preventing STIs, including HIV, and/or unintended pregnancy, such as delaying first intercourse and other sexual activities until a person is older and using condoms consistently if and when a person becomes sexually active
- Demonstrate an understanding of physical, emotional, social, and psychological factors that need to be considered when making decisions related to sexual health;
- Explain how relationships with others and sexual health may be affected by the physical and emotional changes associated with puberty;
This packet builds off the knowledge students already have, while reviewing what students know throughout the various lessons. Please note that since the curriculum has changed, there is more of a focus on knowledge that students need to have about sexual activity and their sexual health. Although abstinence is encouraged and taught in this unit, there is also a discussion about contraception and risk factors related to engaging in sexual activities. This is per the curriculum expectations outlined in the 2015 Ontario Health curriculum.
What is included in this packet?
This packet includes 8 lessons, 8 activity worksheets, 1 reflection page and 3 readings that help to meet the above curriculum expectations. There are also 8 interactive notebook activities that could be used instead of some of the activity worksheets. The lessons are:
Lesson 4.1 - Changes during Puberty
Lesson 4.2 - Puberty and Relationships with Others
Lesson 4.3 - Healthy Relationships
Lesson 4.4 - Relationships and Sexual Health
Lesson 4.5 - Sexually Transmitted Infections
Lesson 4.6 - Preventing STIs
Lesson 4.7 - Making Decisions Related to Sexual Health
Lesson 4.8 - Making Decisions Related to Sexual Health
What ASSESSMENTS are included?
Great question! There are checklists included in this packet to identify whether students have met the given expectations or met the criteria for some of the activities included in this packet. There is a final assessment included in this packet (you can choose between two assessments). The first option has students write advice for an individual who is learning about sexual health and sexual activity. Students are asked to use their knowledge and write about the factors that the individual needs to consider when making decisions about sexual health. The second option has students complete a comic book strip that illustrates what communication about sexual activity/health looks like in a relationship. Assessment tools are included for both assignments.
I am here to help! If you have any questions about this unit, or any of my units, please leave me a question under the Q&A tab below. Or, you can email me at email@example.com.