Grade 8 History Creating Canada 1850-1890 Strand A
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Grade 8 Canadian History Bundle 1850-1914 | PDF & Digital: In this Grade 8 Canadian History Bundle, teachers will find 41 in-depth and engaging lessons to help their students explore and understand this era of Canadian history. Topics include Confederation, Western Settlement and Development, anPrice $39.99Original Price $44.98Save $4.99
- Grade 7/8 Canadian History: Teachers are provided with 85 in-depth, engaging, and cross-curricular lessons to help their students explore and understand New France, British North America, Conflict and Challenges, Confederation, Western Settlement, Development, and Canada A Changing Society eras ofPrice $74.99Original Price $89.96Save $14.97
Grade 8 History Strand A | Digital and PDF: This Grade 8 Strand A Creating Canada Unit 1850-1890 supports the Ontario Curriculum and any Canadian History Curriculum that teaches how Canada's Confederation occurred and how Western Canada was settled. Teachers are provided with 28 in-depth lessons to help their students explore and understand this era of Canadian history. Many subjects are integrated into this unit Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Oral, Media), History, and Art.
- This unit is aligned with the Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2018 Grade 8 Strand A. Updated in 2019.
- 28 Engaging Lessons
- MP3 Audio Files
- Google Slides of Student Pages
- Daily Lesson Plans
- Student Choice
- Differentiated Tasks
- Inquiry Learning
- Graphic Organizers
- Summative Assessment
- Assessment Rubrics
- Answer Keys
- Unit Test
- Individual PDFs of student pages
Strand A Lessons
1. Why Do We Study History?
2. How Did We Get Here?
3. How Has The Map of Canada Changed?
4. Life in British North America Prior to 1867
5. Fathers of Confederation Monologues
6. Politics in the Province of Canada
7. John A. Macdonald Personal and Professional Life
8. Confederation Advertisement Assignment
9. The Pros and Cons of Confederation
10. The Charlottetown, Quebec and London Conferences
10B. Missing Voices at the Confederation Conferences
10C. British North America Act
11. Confederation Unit Test
12. Primary Source Analysis Videos and Photos
13. Legal Documents
14. Settlement of Western Canada Inquiry Stations
15. Manitoba Act 1870
16. The Indian Act 1876
17. Louis Riel Obituary Assignment
18. Canadian Pacific Railroad Lyric Analysis
19. Canadian Pacific Railroad Assignment
20. Primary Source Analysis, Video, and Creative Writing - The Gold Rush
21. The Chinese Immigration Act 1885
22. The Arctic and Indigenous Case Law
23. Numbered Treaties
24. Residential Schools
25. Video Review
26. Western Canada Unit Test
- "I am ecstatic that you created a wonderful inquiry-based resource for the new curriculum. There is such a need for resources to support this curriculum and I love the clarity and creativity of this package."
- "Excellent product and well worth the price for a new teacher. Hits all the major Ontario curriculum expectations, learning goals and success criteria. Saves me so much time re-teaching myself."
- "Great resource for strand A of the curriculum. Takes the main points of the unit and organizes them into thoughtful and well-organized activities. Thanks!"
- "Great ideas in this resource. Fun and interesting assessments."
NOTES: Internet is required to access videos in this unit. Research is not included for inquiry stations. Students must gather the research themselves from a textbook, non-fiction books or online sources.
Additional Canadian History Resources
- Aussi disponible en français - Grade 8 History Strand A
- Grade 8 History Strand B - Canada A Changing Society
- Grade 8 History Bundle - Canadian History Bundle 1850-1914
- Grade 7/8 History Bundle - 1713-1914 Canadian History Bundle