This kit is designed to help you review syllable types, in preparation for learning to read multi-syllabic words. 2nd and 3rd graders sort syllables into open
, real word
, or word part
Sorting by syllable type has many benefits
for young readers:
• Reinforces their knowledge of vowel sounds;
• Provides a review of how spellings affect punctuation;
• Increases flexibility with decoding and encoding (spelling); and
• Prepares students to work with longer (multi-syllabic) words.
in this kit are:
• A hyperlinked Table of Contents
• a detailed teacher’s guide
• a sorting mat (in color and b&w)
• 3 worksheets (in color and b&w)
• 40 word cards
• answer keys
• open and closed syllable resources
You can use this kit
in several ways:
• by using with a large group, small group, partners, or individuals;
• by varying the level of words on the word cards;
• by using the sorting activity, the worksheet, or both;
• with or without the introduction and follow-up worksheets;
• with or without color-coding (for syllable types);
• as a form of assessment.
Thanks for checking out my product!
You may also be interested in my related resources:
How to get TpT credit to use toward future purchases
1. Go to your My Purchases page.
2. Click on Provide Feedback for the item.
3. Give a rating and a comment—even a short one.
Each time you leave feedback, TpT gives you Feedback Credits that you can apply toward future purchases. It takes just a few seconds!
Be the first to learn about my new freebies, discounts, and products! To become a Follower
, click on the green star next to my store logo at Many Roads to Reading
: I welcome you to leave a message or question for me at my TpT store Many Roads to Reading
, or by email