This resource is designed to help you reinforce your lessons about different types of syllables.
Sorting in general is a valuable activity for young children because it encourages brain development. Our brains love categorizing
And sorting by syllable type has extra benefits for young readers:
• develops phonological awareness
• develops phonemic awareness
• increases word sense
• improves phonetic decoding and spelling ability
• develops flexibility in word recognition
Included in this kit are:
• a detailed teacher’s guide
• 2 posters
• 2 sorting mats
• 4 worksheets, lined and unlined
• 40 word cards
• answer keys
• extra word cards for SpEd & ELL students
• 2 worksheets for early finishers
• a board game with 56 additional word cards
• closed and r-controlled syllable resources
You can differentiate this sorting activity in several ways:
• by using with a large group, small group, partners, or individuals;
• by varying the level of words on the word cards;
• by just using the sorting activity, or by adding the worksheet follow-up activity; or
• by using the word cards for SpEd & ELL students and activities for early finishers.
Thanks for checking out my product!
You may also be interested in my other resources related to syllable types:
Syllable Types Category
How to get TpT credit to use toward future purchases
1. Go to your My Purchases page.
2. Click on Provide Feedback for the item.
3. Give a rating and a comment—even a short one.
Each time you leave feedback, TpT gives you Feedback Credits that you can apply toward future purchases. It takes just a few seconds!
Be the first to learn about my new freebies, discounts, and products! To become a Follower
, click on the green star next to my store logo at Many Roads to Reading
: I welcome you to leave a message or question for me at my TpT store Many Roads to Reading
, or by email