We are poets! In this unit, students will learn how to write different poems and how to convey thoughts, ideas, feelings, and even images. They’ll learn to use crafts such as repetition and rhythm. These poetry texts are aligned to the National Common Core Standards and Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills. Choose from 17 poems for your grade. Show the poems on your SmartBoard, make class set copies to put in student's writing folder, or draw an identical one on a big chart paper.
1. Poem -Langston Hughes
2. Things -Eloise Greenfield
3. I Like Bugs! -Margaret Wise Brown
4. Chocolate -Arnold Adoff
5. Egg -Kristine O’Connel George
6. Peach -Rose Rauter
7. Clickbeetle -Mary Ann Hoberman
8. Ceiling-Zoe Ryder White
9. Summer Full Moon -James Kirkup
10. The Pickety Fence -David McCord
11. Apple -Nan Fry
12. April Rain Song -Langston Hughes
13. Leave Me Alone -Felice Holman
14. And Then -Prince Redcloud
15. Go Wind -Lillian Moore
16. Mountain Snowstorm -Jane Yolen
17. Spill -Judith Thurman
(Tip: Choose to print single-sided)
These poems are also used as mentor texts in the First and Second Grade Poetry Writing Curriculum from our store. Each lesson will teach a poetry craft with instructions and state the selected poem to pair with.
If you like what you see here, click the “Follow Me” button near the top of the page to get email updates about our store, new products, and sales! Or visit Teaching Charts store to check out our other writing charts. We are also on Instagram (teachingcharts) and Facebook (Teaching Charts)!