If you've been looking to explicitly teach grammar skills while incorporating them into your reading workshop, these lessons are for you!
Let's face it, teaching grammar in isolation is BORING. And, oftentimes, not effective.
These lessons will give you teacher language to tie the grammar skills directly into reading so that students can see the value in learning how recognizing grammar rules can add meaning and understanding to the texts that they read.
- CCSS and NEW TEKS standards attached to every lesson (grades 2-6)
- 8 mini-lessons with detailed teaching instructions for teaching about nouns.
- 8 sample mini-lesson anchor charts (your anchor charts will look different based on the mentor texts you choose to use and the responses from your students, but you can use the same outline as provided).
- ‘I Can’ statement cards for each lesson. These are great to post in the room, at a literacy station, glued into readers’ notebooks, or posted at a small group table when re-teaching.
- Blank anchor chart pages for students. These can be glued into reader’s notebooks in a mini-lesson section. Students can complete them during the lesson and have a record of learning kept safely in their notebooks to reference anytime!
- 8 graphic organizers for independent activities that match each of the 8 mini-lessons. These can be used with any text students are reading and can be used over and over again. They are great for assessment!
- 3 Short comprehension quizzes on nouns to administer after the 8 lessons are completed. Answer keys are provided!
- A certificate of mastery you can give students to build their confidence!
- 14 different styles of brag tags for rewarding students for all their hard work and learning.
- General overview lesson
- Common nouns
- Proper nouns
- Plural nouns
- Irregular plurals
- Collective nouns
- Possessive nouns
- Abstract nouns
- You can teach these lessons inside a reading workshop or in a language block.
- Each lesson is designed to be taught by incorporating grammar into reading.
- ANY mentor texts you're using can be easily incorporated into each lesson.
- If you are in the middle of a unit but need to take a day to teach a grammar skill you notice students struggling with, go for it!
- Each lesson can be taught as a stand-alone lesson. You do NOT need to teach all 8 lessons in a row. Pull them when you need them!
- There is small group support inside each lesson as well.
- Assessments, note-taking pages, teacher language, independent practice pages...it's ALL there.
- These are designed with the SAME best practice framework as all my curricula.
- It will be a seamless transition to teach these skills since your students know the routines and expectations for workshops!
Over the course of the next several months I'll be releasing units for teaching:
- Figurative Language
- Compound Words
- Word Parts
- Greek Roots
- Latin Roots
- Types of Sentences
Copyright © 2019 Jen Bengel
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.