The Grammar Farm is one of the early Montessori methods for teaching the parts of speech to students. It provides natural differentiation and lets the students understand grammar concepts in a natural way as they create sentences.
It also works well for various types of learners. The parts of speech are color coded for visual learning. The students are moving words and animals around for kinesthetic learning. It is a great activity for individuals or small groups. And naturally, it builds upon linguistic learning.
Another great way to use the Grammar Farm is to have it follow students from one grade to the next. The program easily builds on itself until all parts of speech are used. Providing consistent definitions, color coding, and activities from one year to the next will result in less reteaching of key grammar concepts. The grammar farm works well to supplement any grammar program and can be incorporated with phonics study.
This version is a paper Grammar Farm. Traditional Montessori classrooms feature a barn with animals and other accessories for this work. You could easily use the word lists in this document to set up your own traditional Grammar Farm. The only set of words that would need modification would be the nouns to fit the objects you have available.
The zip file contains:
- Word lists for the following parts of speech. (In black and white and color versions)
o Nouns - 16 words
o Articles - 3 words
o Adjectives - 78 words
o Pronouns - 3 words (he, she, and it to work with the provided verbs)
o Verbs - 134 words
o Adverbs - 36 words
o Prepositions - 24 words
o Conjunctions - 7 words
o Interjections - 18 words
- Clip art file. Farm animals and items for students to cut out and color (16 items)
- Notebook file (18 slides plus 5 answer slides) that introduces each part of speech on one slide and provides a short interactive activity on the second slide.
- Symbols to cut apart - labeling the words with color coded grammar symbols is an optional extension activity.
- Symbol chart
- Posters (introduction slides from the Notebook file made into posters for display - one for each part of speech)
- Teacher guide (2 pages - available in preview)