Students need frequent and consistent practice with grammar and language concepts to help build their reading and writing skills. These bite-sized reading passages and language tasks allow students to get regular practice with a variety of sentence structure and vocabulary concepts, while also building their critical thinking skills. Comes with printable and digital (Google Slides™) options.
Click the preview button above to get a closer look!
These activities will give your students plenty of opportunities for analysis and critical thinking. The tasks are based on passages from classic literature, which are often filled with vocabulary and sentence structures that students may find uncommon or challenging. This makes it a perfect opportunity for students to think more deeply about the grammar and meaning. For example, they can practice understanding difficult vocabulary through context clues and rework complex sentence structures by paraphrasing the ideas into everyday language.
This resource includes 10 reading passages with a variety of grammar and language tasks. Some of the grammar points included:
- Choosing synonyms appropriate to the context
- Using context clues to determine the meaning or general understanding of an unknown word
- Using context to choose an appropriate word to complete a sentence
- Multiple meaning words
- Identifying figures of speech, such as similes and onomatopoeia
- Identifying parts of speech and using related word forms
- Using homophones, commonly confused words, and apostrophes correctly
- Using correct verb forms to avoid inappropriate verb tense shift
- Revising sentences to achieve parallel structure
- Pronoun-antecedent agreement
- Connecting words, phrases, and clauses with appropriate punctuation
- Changing words, phrases, and word order for sentence variety
*NOTE: All passages used in this resource are from works in the public domain and are not subject to copyright.
You might also like:
- Brain Breaks, Icebreakers, and Warm Up Activities
- ESL Lessons for TED Talks Bundle
- Word Games and Puzzles Mega Bundle
- Word Puzzle Escape Room Activity
- ESL Find Someone Who Speaking Activities
- ESL Conversation Cards (US and UK)
- Gerund Game
- Would You Rather Questions for Discussion and Writing
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
★★★ Important note to customers! ★★★
★Tips to customers
Earn credits to use toward future purchases in any TpT store:
Please go to your My Purchases page. Next to each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback on a paid item, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. Additionally, your feedback is very important to me as it helps me as I am creating new products.
I ❤️ followers! click the FOLLOW ME link to get sale alerts, updates and news about future products. You will also be notified when new products are uploaded, most of which are 50% off for the first 48 hours, so it pays to follow me!
For information on newest products, special sales, and promotions, also follow me on: