"Compliment The Author" is an interactive set of passages that are designed to teach grammar and writing conventions to Kindergarten, first, or second grade students. This is a Google Drive file that can be displayed using your interactive whiteboard.
Research shows that children best learn grammar and writing conventions (capitalization, punctuation, parts of speech, etc.) in context
In other words, students need to study correct grammar and conventions in real texts, as well as try out grammar and conventions in their own writing. This set of passages will give your students opportunities to do both of these things.
There are a total of 64 brief passages included in the product.
For each passage, you will:
- Read it aloud to students
- Discuss the meaning of the text
- Introduce (or review) a grammar or conventions skill
- Point out an example of how the author used the skill correctly within the text
- Give students opportunities to find additional correct examples within the same passage (they'll take turns coming up to the interactive white board and dragging images to highlight these correct examples)
- Ask students to look for the same convention or part of speech in their own writing, and make corrections if needed
The following skills are included:
- Spaces between words
- Capitalization of the first word in a sentence
- Periods to end telling sentences
- Capitalization of "I"
- Question marks at the end of questions
- Exclamation marks at the end of exclamations
- Capitalization of words in the date
- Capitalization of names of people
- Commas in dates
- Commas in lists
- Capitalization of names of holidays
- Capitalization of product names
- Capitalization of geographic names
- Commas in the greeting and closing of a letter
- Apostrophes for contractions
- Apostrophes for possessives
- Quotation marks for dialogue
- Plural nouns
- Proper nouns
- Possessive nouns
- Irregular plural nouns
- Reflexive pronouns
- Irregular past tense verbs
To learn more about this product, please:
1. View the product video by clicking HERE
2. Download the free preview!
Very Important: This is a Google Slides file that can be accessed via Google Drive. You will need Internet access and a free Google account in order to use this product. This product is also designed to be used with interactive white boards. You can still use it without one, but you will need a projector to display what's on your computer screen to the whole class - AND you or students will have to drag and drop items using your computer mouse.
After you purchase and download this product, you'll find a 1-page PDF. This is not the actual product - just an explanation of how to access the product within Google Drive. In that PDF, you will find a link to the actual product. You'll save a copy of the product in your own Google Drive, and that's how you will access it in the future.
By: Learning At The Primary Pond