Grammar and writing skills board game and lesson PowerPoint. Help students learn and practise the rule for deciding whether to use the article a or an when writing. Great for literacy rotations and centers.
A or An Grammar and Writing Skills Complete Teaching and Learning Pack.
This Pack Includes:
- A fun, colourful rules poster
- A whole-class lesson PowerPoint
- 4 Board Games
- A student worksheet/ assessment
- Comprehensive instructions on how to use this pack
This Pack Has EVERYTHING You Need to Teach This Skill:
Print and laminate the A or An poster
. Show students the poster and explain the rule for using a or an. Place the poster in your room for display.
Use the Class Practise PowerPoint
with question and answer slides to reinforce and teach the rule. This resource contains 20 examples and provides students with the opportunity to practise and ask questions.
Students are shown an activity slide where they must decide whether to use a or an in front of the word. Students should then be encouraged to use a ‘speak aloud’ (shown on the answer slide) to justify their choice. They are then shown the answer slide with the speak aloud. The use of ‘speak alouds’ and repetition helps students to remember the grammar rule.
* Some tricky examples and common misconceptions have been placed at the end of the practise PowerPoint to reinforce that it is the first sound not the first letter which dictates whether a or an is used.
* There are also some words which students may be unfamiliar with. They have been placed in the practise PowerPoint so that the teacher can explain the meaning of unknown words, use them in context and enhance students vocabulary.
- Print and laminate the 4 game boards
. You can choose whether to increase them to A3 or leave them as A4.
- The words used slowly increase in complexity so the game boards are suitable for a range of ability levels (board 1 contains words like bird and board 4 contains words like orphan).
- These games are fun and engaging way for students to enhance their understanding of the rules for a and an. These games boards make a great reading or writing rotation activity
- Have students complete the A or An worksheet
and use it to check their understanding and identify students who need further teaching and learning experiences.
- Continue to monitor
students use of a and an in their writing. If you see students make incorrect choices, reuse parts of this pack to revise the rule.
If you liked this product, you might also enjoy this Persuasive Writing Annotated Exemplar and Modelling Pack or this Word of the Week for the ENTIRE Year Activity Pack!
Stay updated on my products and network with other teachers.
Click here to follow me on Facebook.
Click here to follow me on Pinterest
Feedback and Ratings:
A big thank you to everyone who leaves a rating or feedback. It earns you TPT credits but also lets me know if you like my product and would like more of the same. I am so immensely thankful and humbled whenever someone takes the time to do this so please know that it is always greatly appreciated. :)