Grandma Joins the All Blacks" by Helen McKinlay is a hilarious picture book about a grandma who ends up saving the day by playing for the All Blacks New Zealand rugby team. You will need a copy of the picture book to make the best use of this resource.
This resource includes over 90 pages of hands-on, engaging, high-interest learning activities to support students' learning across the curriculum, about literacy, numeracy (o'clock times), HASS (New Zealand) and HPE (sport - rugby)!
These higher order activities include:
- Innovative interactive notebook templates for the students' writing about the All Blacks, New Zealand and imaginary writing about playing for the All Blacks themselves (interactive notebook templates include - football, silver fern and New Zealand map)
- Word work activities, including inferring meanings, dictionary definitions, synonyms and vocabulary puzzles; overused words - substitutions for words that have been "benched"
- Factual and imaginative writing tasks
- Reading comprehension activities including making connections; character traits; summarising; questioning; de Bono's thinking hats; close reading; questions/wonderings/connections
- 48 QR Code comprehension question cards, with recording and answer sheets
- Time matching cards for games - matching digital, analogue and word form of o'clock times
- Self-checking maze
- Home reading bookmarks that include new words to learn and reading goals
- A display template of an All Black player for the children's faces to be added to for a classroom mural and creative writing.
Please click on the green "Preview" link at the top of the page, to see an overview of the resource.
All resources are for personal/classroom use only and are not to be distributed further. Multiple licenses are now available at TpT for a reduced price. No sharing of this resource is permitted through email, photocopying, internet groups/blogs, offline groups, school district or regional websites/servers, discussion lists, school websites/servers, or personal websites.
Thank you for your interest in my work! Find or follow me here: