For more information visit: http://www.layercakelessons.com/grandparentsday/
This pack celebrates Grandparents all year long! It includes 4 printable craftivities and 10 differentiated writing activities.
To be clear, it would be totally impractical to try to do all of these grandparents activities at once. Rather, this pack can serve as your "go-to" place for a quick, no-prep activity when you want to practice a particular writing skill - and do something nice for grandparents at the same time!
The crafts make perfect gifts for Grandparents: a card, a book, a coupon book, and a family tree craft.
• simply fold to assemble
• comes with 2 different printable versions, depending on the writing level of your class
• simply print 3 pages; cut along the dotted lines; stack, & staple the pages together
• kids create illustrations and write descriptions according to their ability level
• can be used any time of the year
Printable Coupon Book
• simply print 2 pages; cut along the dotted lines; stack, & staple the coupons together
• kids trace letters and color the illustrations
• includes 5 coupons for: a hug, a story, a picture, a song, and a helping hand
Family Tree Craftivity
• can be used any time of the year
• can also be used to celebrate parents and other special people
• easy step-by-step assembly instructions included
• comes with 5 different printable versions, depending on the writing level of your class
• features students’ portraits of themselves and their grandparents (or other special people)
GRANDPARENTS WRITING ACTIVITIES
This pack includes 10 different types of writing worksheets. It optionally aligns with every single Common Core writing standard
for Grades K - 4.
2 Versions of Each Activity
Each type of writing activity features 2 different versions so that you can choose the best activity for your students’ grade level and writing ability.
Multiple Versions Available
When appropriate, 3 different versions of each activity are available: for both grandparents, for grandma only, & for grandpa only.
STANDARDS & ACTIVITIES OVERVIEW
Opinion Writing (W.1)
• For the Level 1 activity, students write down why they love their grandparents and create an illustration.
• For the Level 2 activity, students write down why their grandparents should be considered the “World’s Best.”
Informative Writing (W.2)
• For the Level 1 activity, students write answers to Who, What, Where, Why, When, and How questions.
• For the Level 2 activity, students write an informative report about grandparents.
Narrative Writing (W.3)
• For the Level 1 activity, students write down and illustrate their favorite memory of their grandparents.
• For the Level 2 activity, students imagine what their grandparents would be like as superheroes (names, powers, enemy).
Organize Writing (W.4)
• For the Level 1 activity, students organize their writing according to a main topic and 3 supporting ideas.
• For the Level 2 activity, students organize their writing into an Introduction, Body, and Conclusion.
Edit Writing (W.5)
• Both the Level 1 & 2 activities provide a checklist for students to edit writing and prompts for them to add improvements.
Publish Writing (W.6)
• Illustrated writing templates are provided in order to showcase student work.
• One template features writing lines and an illustration box; one template features a full page of writing lines; and one template features a full page illustration box.
Conduct Research (W.7)
• For the Level 1 activity, students develop 5 questions to ask their grandparents.
• For the Level 2 activity, students research information from the year in which their grandparents were their age; then they compare their research with their grandparents’ recollections.
Gather Information (W.8)
• For the Level 1 activity, students complete a KWL chart.
• For the Level 2 activity, students note their favorite things and compare them with their grandparents’ favorite things when they were the same age.
Find Textual Support (W.9)
• For both Level 1 and 2 activities, students read a classmate’s writing about their grandparents and then record a quote in the text to support a point (e.g., that the classmate loves their grandparents very much).
Range of Writing (W.10)
• For the Level 1 activity, students write & illustrate a postcard (simply fold paper in half).
• For the Level 2 activity, students write a letter to their grandparents.
Did you know that you can earn TpT credit by leaving feedback?
If you like this product, please consider giving it a 4 star rating and review. Have a suggestion for improvement? Feel free to "Ask a Question" on our store anytime.
Many thanks to all of you who PIN this product!