Grandparents Day’s Lesson is a great way to celebrate and honour grandparents of your students. Grandparents Day in Canada is celebrated the first Sunday after Labour Day. There is no Rookie Read about Holidays for this but here is a list of good books for Grandparents Day:
- The Gifts of Being Grand By: Marianne Richmond
- How to Baby Sit a Grandma By: Jean Reagan
- How to Baby Sit a Grandba By: Jean Reagan
- Grandpa and Me By: Karen Katy
- Grandma and Me By: Karen Katy
- Vistors for Edward By: Micheala Morgan
- The Good Brown Earth By: Kalthy Henderson
- Grandma and Me – Grandpa and Me By: Mercer Meyer
This package includes answer key, multiple approaches to complete the lesson depending on the age of your students.
As part of diversity and understanding of the people we share our planet with. I did a month by month study into different cultures around the world. To help with this unit I used the Rookie Read- About Holidays books series by Children Press available through Scholastic. Each month on the day or as close as possible I would read the book or any other appropriate book and complete the follow up paper. We then would put the paper into our portfolio. Also I used these events as part of the timeline in my room in which any and all important events were added. At times even pictures where available were placed on the time line.