This activity contains:
• A list of common idioms
• A graphic organizer to help students to demonstrate
understanding by illustrating or writing about the difference
between the literal and actual meaning of idioms.
• The activity also suggests using the book, A Chocolate Moose
for Dinner, written & Illustrated by Fred Gwynne to help students
understand the humor and meaning of idioms.
• Read the book, A Chocolate Moose for Dinner aloud. Discuss the
idioms as you come upon them in the book.
• Pick an idiom in the book and do the activity together to check
for student’s understanding of idioms.
• Have students pick an idiom from the list and complete the
• This activity could also be used in a reading center or as a