This file contains 5 separate graphic organizers and engaging activities for any story. I have used these with short stories, but they could also be applied to novels and plays. These graphic organizers and activities are directly aligned with common core standards for reading literature. Each assignment comes with an appealing graphic organizer, the common core standards, the learning goal(s), the directions, and a suggested rubric that is clear for students and easy for teacher use.
Included in this file, you will find:
- Director for a Day - Students play the director role in the movie version of the story and are tasked with hiring appropriate cast members!
- Quote It! - Students locate meaningful lines from the story and make various types of inferences.
- Point of View Book Covers - Students consider various points of view in a story and identify how the point of view affects readers' engagement with the text.
- Theme Development - Students work to identify a theme and show how the characters, setting, and plot all work together to develop that idea.
- The Soundtrack - Students make an appropriate soundtrack of music for the story they are reading based upon their analysis of the text.
One of the strengths of the diversity in this file is that it hits on different student interests...drawing, writing, music, and television. You can use each assignment at individual times, they could be utilized as a choice assignment, or they could even be used as reading/writing center activities. The possibilities go on. I hope you find these story graphic organizers and activities as engaging and useful as I do!
Please leave feedback. I'd love to hear from you.