Objective: Graphing Absolute Value Functions. Equations are in the form y=a|x-h|+k where a= 1 or -1
This activity is designed to help students with graphing absolute value function. This activity also gets students up and about.
Place the 10 cards on the wall around your room. Students pick any card to begin with. They should graph the function on the bottom of the page. After graphing on their own paper, students look around the room for a graph that matches theirs. Then they graph the next problem. They should continue until they return to the card they started with.
Can be used with any method of graphing
** Using a table of values
** Finding the vertex and using the slope of 1 or -1.
** Using transformations (shifting and reflection)
Included are 2 version of this activity.
-- One with 10 cards for use as a walk-around activity (also includes an absent student version)
-- A shorter version with only 5 cards great for table work, bell work or use as a review.
Included in activity:
- directions and ideas
- 10 graphs/equations (full page)
- Absent Student Version (10 graphs/equation printed 6 per page)
- Smaller 5 card version (printed 4 per page)
- Student Response Pages (2 for each version)
- Answer Keys
- Mid-Lesson or End of Lesson Check for understanding
- Math Station for students that have finished work early
- Test Review
- Homework Alternative
- Bell work