Graphing, Scientific Method and Scientific Writing
Teach, review and reinforce these very important science skills:
• Scientific Method
• Analyzing data
• Experimental design
• Scientific Writing
Teaching the science skills is of the utmost importance. If the skills are taught properly at the beginning of the school year, your students will be equipped with the tools they need to be successful for the rest of the year.
The purpose of this assignment is to:
1. Reinforce graphing skills.
2. Teach students to interpret and analyze a graph.
3. Provide writing prompts to teach students how to design a controlled experiment.
4. Teach students to identify the independent and dependent variables in an experiment.
5. Teach students how to apply the scientific method to a particular scenario.
6. Give students practice in scientific writing.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is included in my Science Skills Mega-Bundle of 61 files.This Science Skills Bundle contains 61 different files on science skills, including metric system, scientific method, scientific notation, graphing, significant digits, experimental design, comparing and contrasting and more.
What is included in this product? 17 Total Pages!
• 7-pages of student worksheets
• 9-page Teacher Guide: Answers, teaching tips and prompts will insure that you provide a very successful lesson to your students.
• Grading rubric for student work.
Three different scenarios and sets of data will be provided in worksheet form for the students. In the first, you will lead your students through the process of graphing, designing an experiment, and scientific writing. Your job as the teacher will be to guide them through the first worksheet and example. After you teach them this process, two more scenarios are provided so that you can have your students practice this important skill.
I believe that it is very important to use a grading rubric when evaluating students on this type of assignment. I have included a possible rubric for you to use. It can easily be edited to meet your needs. After you have guided the students through the first exercise, give them a copy of the rubric and have them use it to evaluate the work you have just completed. Even though you have just completed the first activity along side the students, it will allow them to see what must be included as they complete the second and third exercises on their own.
In my own classes, I follow these steps when using these materials:
1) I use the first example to teach the students what I expect. We do the first example together in class. After we complete the first example, I pass out the grading rubric to show how the work we completed on the first example would be scored according to the rubric.
2) I have the students complete the second example in class as I monitor and check for understanding.
3) I have the students complete the third example as a homework assignment. I have also used the third example as a daily quiz grade.
You will receive worksheets that are ready to be copied and passed out to your students. You will receive both an editable Word document as well as a pdf version of the worksheets.
All answers are included as well as sample essays for experimental design.
Related Products Include:
Introduction to Science: 34 Warm ups, bell ringers, or inserts for science interactive notebooks
Biology Buzz Words: Introduction to Biology
FREE Scientific Method Powerpoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Scientific Method Homework / Study Guide
Chemistry Chat: A First Day of School Chemistry Lab Icebreaker
Tabling, Graphing and Analyzing Data PowerPoint with notes for Teacher and Student
Graphing Practice Problems Worksheet
Lab: Using a Graph to Find Area
Scientific Notation Powerpoint and Notes
Significant Digits Powerpoint
What's In a NAme? (A Study of Biological Prefixes and Suffixes)
Science Skills Worksheet and PowerPoint: Comparing and Contrasting
Science Skills Lab: Student Designed Experiment
Scientific Method Task Cards
Common Core Science: Informational Reading Task Cards for ANY Science Reading Passage
Graphic Organizer for Writing Science Lab Reports
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (Science Stuff)