Great Depression Primary Sources Activity
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Engaging activities to teach the Virginia Studies curriculum? Yes, please! Students can use this primary source activity bundle to learn a variety of content about Virginia's history. These student-centered activities are great for 4th and 5th graders to use as an introduction to a unit, an extensioPrice $15.00Original Price $18.75Save $3.75
It can be challenging to teach younger students about the Great Depression. Support their learning with this engaging primary source-based activity! This activity makes a great introduction to your Great Depression unit, an extension activity, or a review before the end-of-unit assessment.
- read background information on the causes of the Great Depression, problems it caused, and the New Deal
- work collaboratively in small groups to analyze 8 photographs (without captions) and decide whether each represents a problem that people faced during that time or a solution/change that helped the country recover
- match captions to the photographs and re-sort as needed
- participate in a class discussion
This activity is not an in-depth lesson on the Great Depression, but more so an overview of what happened, to make it more understandable for upper elementary students. You may wish to supplement with more information.
Included are the following materials:
- teacher notes, sample lesson plan, and suggested answer keys
- headings (problems, solution, and not sure)
- 8 photographs
- worksheets (4 pages) with background reading, a chart to record how they sorted the photos and why, and reflection questions
This activity supports Virginia Studies VS.9.
Thank you for visiting my store!
Enjoy teaching with primary sources? Click here to see more resources!
Please CLICK HERE to see more VS.9 resources!