This fact-based 42-slide PowerPoint covers the major economic events and new government programs during the 1929-41 Great Depression. It covers the following topics:
* Several slides on how the stocks and banking markets work
* The stock market crash of 1929-32
* Contrasting economic explanations for why the Great Depression lasted as long as it did (Keynes v. Hayek)
* The Dust Bowl
* Herber Hoover: Deficits, Smoot-Hawley and the Reconstruction Finance Corporation
* Franklin Delano Roosevelt's executive orders creating the CCC and bank holiday
* Major new agencies in both the "First 100 days" and "Second New Deal" such as the NRA, AAA, TVA, WPA, SEC, FDIC, FCIC, FHA, Fannie Mae, NLRB
* Major policy changes, including Social Security and a national minimum wage
* The Supreme Court reaction to the New Deal with the Schechter and Butler cases, and the "court-packing" scheme
* Opponents of the New Deal from the political Right (Al Smith, John T. Flynn, H.L. Menchen, Rose Wilder Lane) and Left (Huey Long, Fr. Coughlin, Communists).
* Racial progress during the New Deal (Black Cabinet and Mary McLeod Bethune)
Most slides have pictures, charts or other graphics.
Note: This slideshow focuses mostly upon the economic impact of the Great Depression and the various government efforts to escape the depression. Except as indicated above, there's nothing about the culture of America the 1930s (i.e., the age of Hollywood, sports, etc.) in the slideshow.