This is a unit over Great Depression and New Deal that was planned with the Georgia Performance Standards in mind while creating it. The standard reads:
SS5H5 The student will explain how the Great Depression and New Deal affected the lives of millions of Americans.
a. Discuss the Stock Market Crash of 1929, Herbert Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt, the Dust Bowl, and soup kitchens.
b. Analyze the main features of the New Deal; include the significance of the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Works Progress Administration, and the Tennessee Valley Authority.
c. Discuss important cultural elements of the 1930s; include Duke Ellington, Margaret Mitchell, and Jesse Owens.
The listing includes the following instructional items:
- A Great Depression and New Deal Anticipation Guide
- A PowerPoint including information on the Great Depression and
- Notes pages that allow students to follow along and fill in the blanks of important sections of their notes.
- A vocabulary matching activity that allows students to cut out cards and match terms to their definitions.
- A class "I have, who has" game that allows students to review important concepts of Great Depression and New Deal
- A study guide for review
- Great Depression and New Deal assessment
- Modified Great Depression and New Deal assessment
NOTE: If you would like to edit the presentations, products, or tests in any way – PLEASE feel free. I am satisfied with my product AS IS, but realize others may wish to make edits.
Other (copyrighted - sorry!) instructional items were used in addition to the teaching and assessing of my own students, but these items were a huge part of my Great Depression and New Deal instruction for me.
Those instructional items include:
Carole Marsh 5th Grade Social Studies Workbook, located at:
Georgia Test Prep CRCT for 5th Grade, located at:
I have included the files as word documents, so please feel free to edit them to your needs/teaching.
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!