Dig deeper into the geography of Sub-Saharan Africa with this engaging, cross-curricular 5-E lesson! Students build on their knowledge of plate tectonics from science class by analyzing the Great Rift Valley from a Social Studies perspective, focusing on human-environment interactions. A fun memory game, "Ice Age" cartoon, vocabulary, "Think about It" questions, captivating photos, video, current events connections, and a news report activity will keep your class engaged! This 5-E lesson has everything you need; just print and teach!
- Continental Drift, Pangaea, Great Rift Valley, Rift Valley, Escarpment, Physical Processes, Human-Environment Interactions, Plate Tectonics, Mt. Kilimanjaro, Victoria Falls, Lake Victoria, Lake Turkana
- Engage: Memory Game - Kenya Warm-up Activity
- Explore: Ice Age 4: Continental Drift "Think about it" Activity
- Explain: The Great Rift Valley Lesson- Vocabulary, Maps, Photos, Fill-in Notes, Political Cartoons
- Elaborate: Great Rift Valley Video & Student Questions Worksheet
- Evaluate: "The Kenyan Canyon" - Current Events Connections & Reporting Live
from Africa Activity with Rubric
Your Purchase Includes and Versions:
- A Guided 5-E PowerPoint Presentation
- 1 Student Fill-in Notes Handout
- 1 Video Questions Handout with Answer Key
- 1 Evaluate Student Worksheet with Rubric
- A Teacher Quick Reference Guide
Aligned with Social Studies Standards: CCSS, TEKS, ELPS, and NCSS grades 6-8
Enjoy the lesson with your class! Check my TpT store for more fun and unique lessons! Thanks!
Follow My Store!
- To follow my store simply click on “follow me” under Social Studies Stuff on the top of my store page. You will be the first to receive notifications when I post new products and have sales.
Leave Feedback and Earn Credits
- Don’t forget to leave feedback after you purchase a product! Leaving feedback also earns you "credits" which can be used for discounts on future purchases. I would very much appreciate your positive feedback!