Includes the PPT and Cloze Notes
Aim: How did geography impact the development of classical Greece?
Objective: Students will be able to describe the impact of geography on Greece by viewing a virtual tour of Greece and answering visual analysis questions. (Arounder.com)
Do Now: Making Predictions- View ALL images on your worksheet/screen and answer the following questions:
1. List the different types of physical features (ex: deserts, mountains, islands, plateaus, valleys).
2. What do you think is a benefit of Greek geography?
3. What do you predict will be a disadvantage to the geography in Greece?
4. Do you expect that cultural diffusion was promoted or hindered by the location? Why?
1. Students will complete their “do now” by viewing the images of Greece geography and a physical map of the area.
2. Next, students will complete a “cloze” notes passage by viewing a PowerPoint presentation
and filling in key terms. Students will pause occasionally to answer comprehension questions.
a. According to the maps, what is the most effective method of travel and trade for Greeks?
b. Question: What effect did the geography of ancient Greece have on its early development?
c. An important factor that prevented the ancient Greek city-states from uniting to form a single nation was the...
3. To build on their vocabulary recognition, the class will generate a vocabulary list of important terms introduced during the lesson.
4. Closure: Students will generate a short-paragraph on the following question by utilizing their “cloze” passage notes.
a. How is the geography of Egypt and Greece similar?