This unit is an introduction to mythology and to Greek myths. We use the text "D'Aulaire's Greek Mythology" throughout.
We begin by discussing WHAT a myth is and why they were told. We also discuss WHY we study them today, and analyze many references to Greek mythology that we see in pop culture and literature today. We cover the Greek mythology "Creation story," the downfall of the Titans, the Olympians and other major monsters/creatures/characters (I have flashcards included for these). There are guided notes for readings of the 10 most commonly told and referenced Greek myths, as well as a summative test on these myths. At the end of the unit, I there is a major research project with three phases: 1) research methodology; 2) research paper; 3) oral presentation.
This package includes:
1) A 40-page guided-notes+homework booklet for students
2) A powerpoint that goes through entire booklet
3) A set of 48 flashcards of major mythological figures
4) A test on the commonly told myths we read in class.
5) A summative research project on a mythological figure (assignment and rubrics)