A ready-to-go, CCSS aligned, Greek mythology short story and corresponding literacy activities about Persephone and the creation of the seasons. This resource was created for beginner to intermediate ESL students to practice reading and responding to a fictional text. It can be used for an in-class activity, homework, or an emergency sub plan. I designed this resource with upper-level elementary, middle school, and high school ESL students in mind because I often find resources that are appropriate for my students' language levels, but not their age levels. My goal is to create ESL materials that are appropriate for both. I also wish to make Common Core ELA more accessible for ESL students. Included in this resource are:
1. Persephone story (2 pages)
2. Vocabulary: Academic vocabulary (Tier 2 & 3 words) in bold print throughout reading. Vocabulary chart, adapted from Learner's Dictionary, at the end of reading with definitions. Parts of speech and singular/plural words are also identified in the chart.
3. Grammar: Students conjugate verbs from reading into the past tense.
4. Spelling Practice: Students unscramble vocabulary words and write the correct spelling in sentences based on the reading.
5. Vocabulary Practice: Students complete cloze sentences with the correct vocabulary word. Sentences are out of the context of the reading.
6. Reading Comprehension: Students annotate text dependent questions (aligned with CCSS) by circling the question word, underlining the subject once and verb twice, and boxing the object. Afterwards, they answer the comprehension questions using complete sentences.
7. Story Map: A graphic organizer in which students complete sections on the myth's literary elements, such as: characters, setting, conflict, solution, characterization, and theme.
8. Summary Writing Template
9. CCSS Alignment & Teaching Tips
Greek Mythology for ESL I: Five Short Stories with Activities
Greek Mythology for ESL II: Five Short Stories with Activities
Prometheus & The Creation of Fire
King Midas & The Golden Touch
The Story of Sisyphus
The Fall of Icarus
The Story of Echo & Narcissus
Arachne the Weaver
The Story of Eros & Psyche
Perseus & Medusa