This interesting and highly-stimulating lesson enables students to gain a clear understanding of key information regarding the historical and cultural context of Ancient Greece. They also learn to logically organise the key information that they gather, and make clear links between Greek myths and their newly-gained understanding of context. This lesson enables them to construct a solid foundation of contextual understanding for future deeper learning of Greek myths.
The lesson follows a clear, logical, bite-size learning journey, which guides students towards differentiated learning objectives. Over the course of this journey, they become able to:
- Read and interpret key information regarding Ancient Greek gods, geography, culture, and landmarks;
- Share their understanding through engagement in a jigsaw model task;
-Order key events in Ancient Greek History through the creation of a dated timeline;
- Link their understanding of historical and cultural context to an independently-researched Greek Myth;
-Peer assess each other's learning attempts.
This resource pack includes:
- A visually engaging whole-lesson PowerPoint presentation;
- Key information sheets on Ancient Greek gods, geography, culture, and landmarks;
- Ancient Greece Timeline Events Cards (and answer sheet for teachers);
- A detailed lesson plan, complete with what the teacher and students should aim to achieve at each stage of the lesson.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and are cited on the final slide of the PowerPoint. Note: The final two tasks work best with access to ICT/internet resources.