Greek and Latin Root Word of the Week - Morphology Activity
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Vocabulary is an essential part of reading comprehension, and it also happens to be something that students struggle with. If you are a 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade teacher looking for a super quick and easy way to help your students grow their vocabulary skills, check out the vocabulary routines includedPrice $24.95Original Price $38.50Save $13.55
- Understanding root words is such an important part of word study. When students can identify and understand the meaning of common root words, they are equipped to build a robust vocabulary. Get four easy-to-use root word resources to help you teach 40 common Greek and Latin Root Words. This bundle iPrice $13.85Original Price $17.35Save $3.50
Do your students struggle to identify and understand the meaning of greek and latin roots? This Root Word of the Week routine will help your students discover the meaning of 40 common greek and latin roots. #jollydeals This low-prep vocabulary routine takes just a few minutes each day and will help your students feel confident in their ability to understand the meaning of common greek and latin roots. This routine will also help students develop their ability to use context clues when they discover unknown words in their independent reading.
Having a large vocabulary is so important for students in upper elementary, but requiring students to memorize word lists isn’t always the most effective way to help them build their vocabulary. With this resource, your students will develop the strategies and tools that will help them uncover and determine the meaning of unfamiliar words, especially words that contain common roots.
This Root Word of the Week set includes the following resources for 40 weeks worth of practice with common greek and latin roots.
- 40 Root Word Cards (Root of the week)
- PowerPoint Presentation for Whole Group
- Student Booklet & Recording Sheets
- Teacher Guide/Answer Key
- Digital Version created using Google Slides
The words in this set are perfect for 3rd - 5th grade students. Check out the preview for a full list of the root words included.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN USE THIS RESOURCE IN YOUR CLASSROOM:
These activities are perfect to use in your Daily 5 word work center, as part of your morphology study or in any type of literacy center for upper elementary students. They can also best be used for morning work, distance learning, early finishers, or substitutes. Here are some other ideas for how you can use this resource:
- Use it whole group as part of your morning meeting or reading warm-up
- Use it during small group instruction for students who need extra practice with greek and latin root words
- Incorporate it into your spiral review or test prep practice
- Give to students as a “end of day” activity to keep them engaged while students pack up
LET’S BREAKDOWN THE WEEKLY ROUTINE:
Students will engage with the root word of the week in the following ways:
- Monday - Students will read the root of the week, predict what the root means and explain how the example sentences helped them make their prediction.
- Tuesday - Students will reference a dictionary or additional resource to identify the correct definition of the weekly root as well as identify the origin of the word.
- Wednesday - Students create an illustration or symbol that will help them remember what the root means.
- Thursday - Students go on a word hunt to find as many words as they can that contain the root of the week.
- Friday - Students will select 2-3 words from their list and use those words in sentences. This will give them an opportunity to display their understanding of the root.
LOVED BY BOTH TEACHERS AND STUDENTS:
→ Your students will love how fun and engaging the daily tasks are. They will enjoy being “word detectives” and digging deep into the study of the specific greek or latin root word of the week.
→ You’ll love how quick and easy this routine is. It will take just a few minutes out of your instructional day but will have a huge impact on your students’ vocabulary growth.
→Your students will love building confidence with greek and latin roots. After a few weeks of doing this weekly routine, your students will start to feel more confident in their ability to determine the meaning of root words they discover in their independent reading texts.
→ You’ll love how independent your students will be with this routine. Students can easily complete this routine on their own which makes it great for literacy centers, workstations, or as part of your morning routine.
TEACHERS LIKE YOU SAID…
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ John H. said, “This is the best resource I have ever had for teaching root words. It is very interactive and interesting for my students.”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Whitney W. said, “This has been a great resource to use in my independent reading groups. The kids are able to work with partners and complete word work study while I do guided reading groups. Thanks for making such a great resource that is easy to use!”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Magly M. said, “This is a quick, effective way to teach Greek/Latin Roots. I complete each component as morning work with my class. It takes about 5 mins per day and I love that my students are able to complete it independently as well.”
**This resource is also included in the Stellar Teacher Reading Membership. **
⭐️ Bundle & save for a discount
Purchase the Vocabulary Activities Bundleto get this set plus weekly routines to help teach Context Clues, Prefixes & Suffixes, Figurative Language, and Homophones.
⭐️ Or You Might Be Interested in…
If you’re looking for more Root Word Resources, check out my Greek & Latin Roots Activity Bundle to get this resource plus other engaging resources to teach root words.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
→ Prefix & Suffix Word Wall Cards & Sorts
→ Figurative Language Task Cards
→ Context Clues Activities for 3rd, 4th, & 5th Grade
Copyright © The Stellar Teacher Co. LLC
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.