This is Unit 1 Greek and Latin Study. Try it out for free to see the quality of this resource.
There are 19 more units just like it! GREEK AND LATIN STUDY- 20 UNITS
What is included with this unit?
- A small study page to create a ringed booklet. They can be printed on card stock each week. Students add this card to their ring each week.
- An anchor chart for each of the roots or affixes (5 per unit)- Also in Digital
- Cards for word wall or bulletin board
- Cards for studying or concentration (print front to back)
- Study guide with matching and open-ended questions- Also in Digital
- Boxes or sentence strips- Also in Digital
- Brainstorm other words with the same root or affix- Also in Digital
- Fill-in-the-blank story printable- Also in Digital
- I have Who Has activity- Digital has self-check review slides
- Quiz with spiraling section after the first unit. Students are responsible for going back and reviewing the prior lessons. Digital (2 versions. Write answers or Google forms quiz for automatic grading)
- Answer Key
What does a week look like with this study?
Day 1- Introduce the five root words or affixes using the anchor charts. Add the cards or anchor charts to a word wall or bulletin board. Work on the study guide (matcing up the meanings). Student can use a dictionary. Go over the meanings together to make sure they have the correct answers for the rest of the activities.
For homework OR centers: Choose one of the the boxes or strips version of practice. For each one, students need to draw a picture of the root word or affix, then write the meaning and create a sentence for each of the words. The printable version can be placed in a folder or cut out and stapled into a booklet.
Day 2- Look up other words with the same root or affix. Create a nonsense word.
Day 3- Fill in the blank to the story. It really gets your students thinking outside the box!
Day 4- Review:
- Game for the whole group- I Have, Who Has?
- Use the flashcards to play concentration, Pictionary, board game, Headbandz, or study with friend.
- Digital- Self-check.
Day 5- Quiz- There is also an automatic-grading GOOGLE FORMS QUIZ.
Why introduce Greek and Latin roots and affixes to your students?
They are the “building blocks” of the English language! It helps your students with word means and spelling conventions. They will learn how to break down larger words in their reading. This study has proven to be effective on the end of year state and national tests!
Are there more units?
There are 20 units. They are split up into Units 1-10 and 11-20 incase you just needed 10 units or you wanted them split up between two grade levels. In each unit, there are 5 roots or affixes with 2 words to learn and study. Students learn a total of 15 definitions per week (5 roots or affixes and 10 words). If you teach all 20 units, they will learn a total of 300 words (100 roots or affixes and 200 words).
Why have 5 roots or affixes all in one study?
Students will learn more tools to break down words. The roots and affixes are categorized so students can learn them within a week. STUDENTS LEARN MORE IN A SHORTER TIME.
Why is there so much practice?
Did you know that students should encounter a word up to 70 times before it is mastered? Practice, practice, practice! In addition to the weekly practice, student need to remember the past roots and affixes introduced. That is why there is a spiraling section of 5 questions included in the quizzes for Units 2-20.
Thank you for visiting my store!
FOR THE OTHER UNITS:
Or just want GREEK AND LATIN FLASH CARDS AND ANCHOR CHARTS?
Are you looking for different products?
STEP-BY-STEP WRITING PROGRAMS (GRADES 1-8) -motivate students AND boost test scores!