Why teach Greek and Latin Word Parts to Younger Students?
We want young readers to start to look at words as chunks of meaning as soon as possible. Learning the meaning of Greek and Latin word parts supports children in seeing the meaning of words they would not otherwise recognize. This knowledge will support their efforts to understand longer, more complex words and sentences.
This resource includes six sets of five Greek/Latin word parts to teach to young children. It is by no means a comprehensive list. The word parts in this resource were carefully chosen because they are easy for younger children to understand.
What’s included in this resource:
1. 30 Greek and Latin Word Parts specially chosen for younger students, broken up into sets of 5.
2. An 18 page coloring book with each word part, sample words, and matching pictures to color.
3. Interactive Notebook pages for all six sets.
4. A matching and sentence completion page for all six sets.
5. A color in the bubble letter page for all six sets.
6. A draw a picture to match the Greek/Latin word part page.
7. A quiz for each set of Greek/Latin word parts.
6. Two videos that demonstrate a hand or body movement for each word part. These videos are saved in Windows Media Player.
7. A guide to what is shown in each video.