This zip folder contains a collection of 14 unique winter-themed worksheets to help students practice the skill of grid-drawing.
When my art students have free time or finish early, I don't want them to have idle hands. I provide fun, skill-building worksheets for them to get extra practice with critical art skills. Grid-drawing is excellent practice for teaching hand-eye coordination and careful observation skills, which are fundamental in learning to draw. My elementary students love these, and they stay busy, without distracting others!
Among the 14 designs are images inspired by winter and Christmas, as well as general seasonal and animal motifs.
Each worksheet includes a name line and simple directions. Every grid is simple, with rows of 4 x 5 boxes. A pre-drawn gridded image has an identical, blank grid next to it. Students practice grid-drawing by looking at one box at a time on the image, and drawing only the lines they see in that one box in the corresponding blank box, until the whole picture is complete. This helps the students break down a drawing into one piece at a time, and forces them to take their time and observe, rather than rushing. When students are done, they may color the image.
Do you prefer to use your projector, Smart Board or other device to project images onto your classroom screen? Display these PDFs on your screen, and your whole class can work with you, while you demonstrate how to draw with a grid step-by-step.
A few tips for grid drawing:
- Students can cover other rows with a piece of paper, so they are forced to only look at one box/row at a time. They could also use viewfinders to focus on only one box.
- Students who have difficulty finding their place can add labels on the sides of each box, like in a graph. Have them name the columns A, B, C, D, and the rows 1 - 5.
BEST OF ALL - there's more! I've included blank templates of the grid worksheets for you or your students to create your OWN grid drawing practices. Try having students create their own original drawings, then switch them with a classmate to practice!
Plus, if you DON'T want to have to use the copier and make tons of copies, I've included all the grid images independently as .jpegs. Project the grid image on the screen, and let students work on their own newsprint, manila, or in their sketchbooks.
I've also included copies of extra grids - both 1/2 page and full-page sized.
Check out the other themed Grid Practice worksheet collections while you're at it:
- Grid Drawing Worksheets - 12 Unique SPRING-THEMED Designs
- Grid Drawing Worksheets - 14 Unique FALL-THEMED Designs
- Grid Drawing Worksheets - 14 Unique, SUMMER-THEMED Designs
- OR save money by bundling! 50 Grid Drawing Worksheets BUNDLE - All 4 Seasons & Holidays
Made with love by Art & Daisies.