PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Whoa?! Where am I? Last thing I knew I was sitting in math class and now I am stuck in the 70's!! I look around the room and everyone has long hair, they are wearing bell bottoms and everyone is saying Groovy and Peace Out! It looks like I am gonna have to use the order of operations that I have learned in math class to get back to my current date and time.... It looks like there is a series of locks too.... Welp, I better be cool and get started so that I am not stuck in the 70's for good, that would be far out! I better move quick, I am already sounding like I'm from the 70's! Catch ya on the flip side! Can you dig it?!
This digital breakout is intended for reinforcing order of operations. This download contains 2 DIGITAL BREAKOUTS! ONE WITH EXPONENTS AND ONE WITHOUT EXPONENTS! PERFECT FOR DIFFERENTIATION!
In this Escape Room-like game, students will interact with a website to find clues and decode puzzles to unlock digital locks to BREAKOUT and time travel back from the seventies.
The TEKS seen in this breakout are:
With Exponents - 6.7A Only whole numbers- no decimals and no negative numbers
Without Exponents- 5.4F 5.4E Only Whole numbers No decimals or negative numbers.
What is a Breakout?
A breakout is a scavenger hunt-like game where players use teamwork and critical thinking to solve a series of challenging puzzles in order to open a locked box. Breakouts can be done hands-on with physical locked boxes or digitally using a Google Form. THIS BREAKOUT IS A DIGITAL ONLY BREAKOUT, NO BOXES OR LOCKS NEEDED!
Why Use Breakouts?
1. Breakouts shift the ownership of learning from the teacher to the student.
2. In addition to the content knowledge needed to succeed in a specific game, breakouts require critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication.
3. A breakout provides learners with many opportunities to fail and try again. Every unsuccessful attempt to open a lock forces students to reexamine their information and their thinking.
Why Use Digital Breakouts?
A digital breakout requires no preparation of materials, no time spent setting up, and no purchase of a Breakout EDU kit.
Included in this Breakout Download:
*Breakout website with links to all necessary text and media (2 websites)
*Breakout codes and explanations
*Student Sheet to Show Work
To use this resource you will need to:
1. Have access to electronic devices (desktops, laptops, Chromebooks, etc.) for students to use or allow students to use their own devices. (there have been reported issues while using Ipads with draggable pieces so please keep that in mind while buying)
2. Have access to the internet.
3. Have a Google Drive and Login for the Google Drive
4. Check to make sure that your school/district does not block out of domain sharing of Google Drive resources (Forms, Docs, Slides, etc.)
NUMBER 3 and 4 ARE VERY IMPORTANT! CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY!
To test your school's security settings:
1. Share this "testing site" with your students. If they can see the testing site, then out of domain settings are allowed. Here is the Site: TESTING SITE
2. On the testing site there is a word that is hyperlinked. Students will click on the hyperlinked word and if they are allowed to make a copy of the resource that is embedded, out of domain sharing is allowed.
If both 1 and 2 work, then all of my breakouts will work in your classroom!
•UPDATED 6-12-2019- School’s Security got you blocked??? I now include the links to the forms and puzzles so that you can create your own site within your school’s domain!!!
Please see the preview file for additional information. PREVIEW IS VERY LIMITED, IT DOESN'T REPRESENT THE FULL DOWNLOAD.
Looking for more 6th grade Math Lessons and Activities? Check out these!
How about 5th grade activities?
Follow Me so you can be notified about my latest resources! (Click the star near the Math Chick icon)
You can also follow me on:
Or email me at email@example.com