Also included in
- 90 lessons to teach SOCIAL and EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) skills. Empower students to deal with life obstacles, systemic racism, Covid 19, and academic challenges! High-Interest FUN lessons that can be used ANY TIME! Explicitly teach students: HOW to build character, be good citizens, collaborate effe$67.23$134.46Save $67.23
- SAVE TIME and MONEY! This bundle includes every single Educircles resource on my TpT store. ⭐ EIGHTEEN (18) people have purchased the EVERTYHING BUNDLE so far! ⭐When you buy this resource, please email me at Mike@educircles.org - I want to make sure you find what you need! TEACHER FEEDBACK about the$138.73$277.46Save $138.73
8 lessons to build LIFE SKILLS and help students improve group work.
Collaboration and Teamwork are NOT the same things!
Your students may be working in groups but that doesn’t mean they’re working well.
There are different teamwork styles (collaboration, coordination, and cooperation).
IN-PERSON or ONLINE learning.
This life-long tool is great ANY TIME during the school year!
- New Year, New You in 2022! Now is the perfect time to reboot your class!
- Use it at the START of the school year to set expectations!
- Teach important lessons if you ever need to fill a period.
- Use this right before you start a group project to get more out of your students.
⭐ The best time to plant a tree was 25 years ago. The second best time is now.
Save HOURS of PREP.
- Includes examples of collaboration to help your students see the difference between just co-operating, or coordinating others, and real collaboration.
- The teamwork styles handout is DIFFERENTIATED for different abilities in your class.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ TEACHER FEEDBACK ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- "Thorough and a great resource for coming back in person where students are not familiar with working together yet. Thank you!"
(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied - Mary S)
- "Very helpful in getting students to know and understand expectations of learning while being remote."
(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied - Jennifer D)
- "Fantastic! I use this with my eighth grade and they cant get enough of the interaction!"
(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied - Cara C)
⭐ Please look at the PREVIEW pdf. It shows you everything you get!
- ▶️ This product contains many files. Please watch this 2 min video explaining HOW I ORGANIZE FILES in Google Drive
- If you're looking for the "easy button" here are my EASY products.
Collaboration is about working together to produce or create something. Teamwork is a bigger umbrella term that includes 3 different styles: collaboration, cooperation, and coordination.
Teamwork could be
- A group of students is working on an assignment.
- They’re all contributing to the discussion as equals.
- Finally, they have a collective aha moment and figure out something they didn’t realize before.
- A group of students is working on homework questions together.
- They’re sharing information with each other.
- But, they each are working on their own separate goals (get their work done.)
- A group of students is working on questions
- The kids who are stronger tell the kids who are struggling what to do or write down on the assignment page.
- Someone takes on more of a leadership role and tells others what to do.
Build a growth mindset in your students. Teach them strategies to get better at collaborating.
✅ The NO PREP slideshow lesson teaches the concepts.
✅ You can EDIT THE FILES to fit your classroom needs.
✅ The slideshow lesson is comprehensive and teaches the concepts:
- DISTANCE LEARNING, BLENDED LEARNING or 1:1 LEARNING in Google Classroom
- IN-PERSON LEARNING in your real classroom
OPTION 1: DISTANCE LEARNING / GOOGLE CLASSROOM
Create the following assignments in your Google Classroom. (One for each lesson)
Assignment #1: Lesson A1
- File 3a Lesson A1 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 5a Google Slides (Make a copy for each student)
- ---Note this file has 5 versions with 10 different puzzles each
- ---If students are working in groups, one student will need to share their document with the other students. (Or, the teacher will have to do this.)
- File 4a Review - Lesson A1 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #2: Lesson A2
- File 3a Lesson A2 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 5c Google Slides (Make a copy for each student)
- ---If students are working in groups, one student will need to share their document with the other students. (Or, the teacher will have to do this.)
- File 4a Review - Lesson A2 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #3: Lesson B1
- File 3b Lesson B1 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 4b Review - Lesson B1 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #4: Lesson B2
- File 3b Lesson B2 slideshow (Student can view file)
- Link to video - cooperation example:
- Link to video - coordination example:
- Link to video - collaboration example: :
- File 5d (Make a copy for each student)
- ---Note this file has 5 versions to allow for differentiated learning.
- ---Choose the one that is appropriate for your class / students
Assignment #5: Lesson B3
- File 3b Lesson B3 slideshow (Student can view file)
- Link to video: Big Hero Six - first battle
- Link to video: Big Hero Six - second battle
- Link to video: Toy Story 2
- File 5e (Student can view file)
- File 4b Review - Lesson B3 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #6: Lesson C1
- File 3c Lesson C1 slideshow (Student can view file)
- Link to Video #1 Big Bang Theory clip:
- Link to Video #2 Oceans 11 clip:
- File 4c Review - Lesson C1 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #7: Lesson D1
- File 3d Lesson D1 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 6 Vocabulary Builder (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #8: Lesson D2
- File 3d Lesson D2 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 7 Self Evaluation (Make a copy for each student)
- File 8a Chapter Review (Make a copy for each student)
OPTION 2: IN PERSON Learning
- Teach using the Google Slideshow (FILE 3) - all of the slides are in this file
- Lesson Plan (File 2b) identifies which slides and handouts you need for each lesson.
..... Do you want to do something FUN, but meaningful at the End of the Year?
- Try this SURVEY so your students can see what kind of mindset they have.
- Do these FUN CLASSROOM DEBATES - does EQUAL mean FAIR?
- Watch these VIDEOS and figure out if teamwork is the same as collaboration. (Spoiler: not always.)
- Play these COMMUNICATION GAMES to notice how communication breaks down.
- Try the DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT challenge and see what happens!
- This one is MY FAVORITE. Students have a lot of fun with the group activity in Section A. The viral video in Section D is shocking... but are we really surprised at this point?
My name is Michael Fuchigami. I'm the teacher behind Educircles.
- I want to help you SAVE HOURS of PREP.
- Sign up for the Educircles Newsletter to stay in the loop!
- TpT support has clarified that we are not allowed to include contest information in our product descriptions or anywhere else on their platform. More info.
⭐⭐⭐ Teachers around the world have DOWNLOADED over 59,727 Educircles resources!
- Check out where teachers have bought my resources (map.)
- THANK YOU to everyone who has purchased an Educircles product.
- 10% of your purchase helps students going through a tough time.
- With your help, Educircles has DONATED $9,344.68 to STUDENT MENTAL HEALTH organizations!
- Here's why I do what I do.
✅ SOCIAL and EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) in a world of Covid, Systemic Racism, and Constant Change...
- Teach students how to PIVOT when faced with obstacles and opportunities.
- BUILD character: develop resilience during uncertain times.
- EMPOWER classroom citizenship: actively participate in our school, local and global community to make the world a better place.
- THINK critically instead of reacting to fear, viral videos, or fake news.
- EVALUATE systemic discrimination in a real-world case study: how might a system impose unfair burdens on a group of people?
- Help students with SELF AWARENESS and SOCIAL AWARENESS. Start by asking your students Who is Invisible...
✅ SAVE HOURS OF PREP (and money) with a bundle!
- Reading Strategies bundle
- Goal Setting bundle
- The Educircles EVERYTHING bundle (Psst, the price goes up as I add more resources to my store.)
⭐ Why am I so passionate about 6Cs and Social-Emotional Learning? Because SEL helped save my life.
✅ SAVE HOURS OF PREP WORK. These lessons are high-interest and visually appealing. It will hook your students!
SAVE MONEY! THIS PRODUCT IS AVAILABLE IN A MEGA BUNDLE!
▶️ Watch this preview video to find out more about the bundle: https://youtu.be/SSKtvFU5adk
In the Google Drive folder, you get:
OVER A WEEK of lessons (8 days) to do with your class to help them start to think about how to get things done, and how working in a group doesn’t always mean we’re collaborating.
(Each lesson is between 40-50 min long. We go through ALL 8 LESSONS at the end of this description.)
- 117 slides in POWERPOINT and GOOGLE SLIDE format
- 43 page lesson plan PDF with 8 DIFFERENT lessons (45-55 min each.)
- 5 word jumble activity handouts (and answer key) to allow students to see if their teamwork is collaboration
- Create-your-own word jumble activity handout
- 5 DIFFERENTIATED versions of a teamwork styles handout + answer key
- 9 Team Examples Photos for gallery walk activity
- Vocabulary Builder graphic organizer (to develop a deeper understanding of what Collaboration means.)
- Student Self Evaluation of their “collaboration” Learning Skill
- Chapter Review assessment and answer key of possible answers
THIS IS A TOTAL OF 175 slides, 35 pages of handouts, 49 pages of lesson plans in 8 LESSONS!
If you want to get your students doing more than just cooperating (and calling it collaboration), we just saved you an incredible amount of prep work!
As always, we're really proud of how good the slides and handouts look.
NOTE: THIS LESSON IS PART OF A LARGER BUNDLE about Exploring the Six Cs / 21st Century Skills / Competencies
The Six Cs are a bunch of transferable skills that you can use at school, at home, at a job… pretty much anywhere. They’re learning skills to help us be successful in the 21st century.
Each Chapter package focuses on a different “C” and contains different lessons, slides, videos, and handouts. Although we use the same structure in each chapter (activity, video, vocabulary building), there is no overlap of content between packages.
Lessons can be purchased individually, or you can SAVE MONEY and purchase the entire unit as a BUNDLE.
- Unit Overview
- Introduction: Fun Activities & Ice Breakers (21st Century Skills)
- Chapter 1. A week of Character
- Chapter 2. A week of Citizenship
- Chapter 3. A week of Collaboration (THIS LESSON)
- Chapter 4. 2 weeks of Communication
- Chapter 5. 2 weeks of Creativity/Innovation
- Chapter 6. 5 weeks of Critical Thinking
- Review / Assessment: 21st Century Skills Challenge Task
GO ON... TELL ME MORE!
In this package, we introduce the learning skill / transferable skills concept of “Collaboration” to your students. Collaboration is about working together to produce / create something. (Dictionary definition)
However, Collaboration is NOT the same as teamwork!
There are 2 key concepts we explore in this package:
1. What are “collaboration” strategies that we can use to get things done?
- This continues the “growth mindset” from our
2. What are 3 different teamwork styles, including “collaboration”?
- Collaboration - working as equals, creating a new understanding / plan / idea
- Coordination - teamwork through implementation of a plan. (We have a shared goal, but we’re not creating a new plan / understanding. Simply executing a plan.)
- Cooperation- sharing ideas / resources, but we have individual goals, and we support each other and their goals. (We might end up creating something new)
In this package, we:
- Introduce the concept of collaboration and provide 5 different strategies to try as they work their way through a word jumble task. (Activity 1)
- Allow students to discover different styles of teamwork by playing with words and grouping different examples of teams. We explore Collaboration, Coordination, and Cooperation through a series of Minecraft videos, and allow students to do a gallery walk activity applying their understanding of teamwork styles. Students finish by analyzing 3 video clips and explaining which teamwork style is exemplified in each clip.
- provide discussion points of 2 YouTube videos showing collaboration in different scenarios
- allow for deeper exploration of the concept of “Collaboration” by playing with the term using the Frayer Model of understanding
CHAPTER BIG IDEA:
After this chapter, students will be able to explain that Collaboration is about:
- Working with others
- To create something new (a new understanding, a new plan, a new idea)
- using a shared goal
Students will have the opportunity to:
- EXPERIENCE an opportunity to collaborate (and not just work as part of a team)
- WATCH examples of collaboration where disagreement amongst the group eventually creates new knowledge and understanding.
- UNDERSTAND what “collaboration” is by using a vocabulary building graphic organizer (Frayer model) to brainstorm features of collaboration, examples and non-examples of collaborating with others, and finally narrow down essential characteristics of the word.
PROPOSED GAME PLAN: ( SHORT RANGE PLANS )
Complete breakdown of ALL 8 COLLABORATION LESSONS
We base this schedule on a 50 minute period and provide around 40-45 minutes of content per lesson. (Let’s be honest. It takes your students a few minutes to wander into class, and you’ll probably need a few minutes at the end of class to go over homework and administrative stuff)
Depending on your teaching style, how often you see your class, and classroom dynamics, you may find that you can get through all 8 lessons in 5 days… or it stretches out to two full weeks.
TEACHER TIP: If you’re short on time, pick and choose which teamwork examples to show your class, and which videos to watch.
PART 1. EXPERIENCE
DAY / LESSON 1 - Word Jumble (slides 1-21) - 45 minutes total
- Introduction of collaboration (slides 1-3) - 5 min
- Solving word jumbles (slides 4-8) - 15 min
- Open discussion about collaboration (slide 9) - 5 min
- Give 5 strategies to try (slides 10-21) - 20 min
DAY / LESSON 2 - Word Jumble Round 2 - Strategies (slides 22-30) - 50 minutes total
- Introduce challenge & review strategies (slide 22-27) - 10 min
- Creating own jumbles (slide 28) - 15 min
- Present your best jumble (slide 29) - 15 min
- Discussion which collaboration strategies you used (slide 30) - 10 min
DAY / LESSON 3 - Teamwork Styles Round 1 (slide 31-49) - 50 minutes total
- Collaboration is not the same as teamwork - 4 corners activity (slides 31-36) - 15 min
- Brainstorming examples of teams / groups (slides 37-39) - 10 min
- Photo Analysis - 9 Team Examples (slides 40-49) - 25 min
DAY / LESSON 4 - Teamwork Styles Round 2 (slide 50-66) - 50 minutes total
- 3 styles of teamwork: collaboration, coordination, cooperation (slide 50-55) - 15 min
- Discuss answers (slide 56) - 5 min
- Reflect on your teamwork style during the Word Jumble activity (slide 57) - 5 min
- LDShadowLady overview (slide 58-60) - 1 min
- ---Cooperation video clip (slide 61-62) - 8 min
- ---Coordination video clip (slide 63-64) - 8 min
- ---Collaboration video clip (slide 65-66) - 8 min
DAY / LESSON 5 - Teamwork Styles Round 3 (slide 67-83) - 50 minutes total
- Explain gallery walk / review 3 styles of teamwork (slide 67-70) - 5 min
- Gallery Walk (slide 71-79) - 20 min
- Discuss answers (use slide 71-79 again for discussion)- 5 min
- What style is this? (slide 80-83) - 20 min
- ---Video 1. Big Hero Six - first battle
- ---Video 2. Big Hero Six - second battle
- ---Video 3. Toy Story 2
PART 2. WATCH
DAY / LESSON 6 - Collaboration Strategies in Video Clips (slides 84-94) - 40 minutes total
- Review collaboration strategies / 3 styles of teamwork (slide 84-86) - 4 min
- Video 1 Big Bang Theory (slide 87-90) - 18 min
- Video 2 Oceans 11 (slide 91-94) - 18 min
PART 3 UNDERSTAND
DAY / LESSON 7 - Vocabulary Builder (slides 95-111) - 40 minutes total
- Introduce Part 3 - Understand (Vocabulary Builder) (slide 95)
- Graphic Organizer set up (slide 96-97)
- Minds on (slides 98-99)
- Filling out the graphic organizer (slides 100-103)
- Revising graphic organizer (slides 104-108)
- Summary (slides 109-111)
DAY / LESSON 8 - Self Evaluation / Review - (slides 112-117) - 40 minutes total
- Student Self Evaluation (slide 112-116) - 10 min
- Chapter Review Test (slide 117) - 30 min
The READ ME FIRST file in the PREVIEW file section tells you exactly what you get when you buy this product.
Have fun empowering your students! If you have any questions or comments, please leave a comment below!
Also, read more about Collaboration Skills Lesson Plans on our website.
Version 2.8 Update (May 13, 2021)
- No changes to teaching content.
- Now includes a PDF (File 1b) with current TpT Gift Card giveaways for you to recover the cost of investing in this product!
Version 2.7 Update (Sep 29, 2020)
- Fixed error in Word Jumble (Speed Skating). Thanks to Sandy Castaneda’s 9th grade students for spotting the error!
Version 2.6 Update (Sep 9, 2020)
- This product has been re-organized to help you find what you need.
- No changes to content.
- Shorter file names.
- Google Drive
- -- Folder 1: files to print and teach.
- -- Folder 2: files you can edit.
- -- Folder 3. files for Google Classroom.
The complete change log can be found at the end of the READ ME FIRST file.