PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This student-created classroom display based on the classic book The Little Engine That Could will be a visual reminder to students to have a growth mindset when faced with difficult tasks and use positive "self-talk" such as "I think I can, I think I can". Choose from multiple options of train engines, cars, cabooses, and headers to create an eye-catching and memorable display for your classroom.
After listening to the story and discussing how the little blue engine had a growth mindset, students create the cars for the train classroom display by completing the sentence "I think I can..." with a goal or task that they wish to achieve this school year.
Hanging student-created displays in your classroom conveys to students that their work is valued and makes the message of the display more meaningful to them because they had a hand in designing it. After reading the book and creating this craftivity, I could hear my students saying "I think I can' to themselves when doing their work :)
• Growth Mindset versus Fixed Mindset explanation
• Links to Growth Mindset Resources
• Instructions for using the book The Little Engine That Could to teach students about growth mindset
• Instructions for how to create the class display
• Train engines in both color and black and white with the words "We can..."
• Train engines in both color and black and white with the words "We think we can!"
• Train engines in both color and black and white with the words "The little class that could!"
• Cabooses in both color and black and white with the words "We can!"
• Cabooses in both color and black and white with no words
• 8 different train cars for students (3 different styles, cars with lined and unlined text, one line and two line sentences, sentences and student illustrations or sentences only)
• Puffs of smoke with the title "We think we can!" in both color and black and white that can be used as the header
• Blank puffs of smoke (add your own words for the title)
♥ ♥ What other educators have said about this resource:
"Love this project! I did this with them 2 weeks ago, and they are still talking about it when they get stuck. One of my students told another student, "don't give up, you have to tell yourself I think I can, and then you'll be able to!" Love IT!" - Miss May's K
"It amazes me how much you get out of this resource. So many different ways to use it." - Tabitha W.
"We made our train and it is on the wall above my windows. We point to it ALL the time and remind ourselves to persevere through challenging tasks. I will use this every year from now on. Thanks!" - Shannon V.
"Fabulous resource! My students love our Growth Mindset hallway display using this! Thanks so much!!" - Wendy S.
"Such a wonderful beginning of the year project. Our school is an AVID school, so my students drew pictures of what they want to get better at this year and we will have it displayed all year, so they remember their goal." - Jessica S.
"I loved all the options for writing! This was perfect for Growth Mindset, Whole Brain's Invincible Grit, New Year's Resolution, and teaching lesson/theme/message." - Buyer
"This is so cute and is an awesome lesson and bulletin board!!!" - Kayla B.
"Hanging in the hallway on display right now! It looked great and the kids enjoyed it!" - Kaitlin M.
"Perfect! We used for the bulletin board for our value of the month- Perseverance!" - Tara O.
You may also like:
TpT gives credits for every $ you spend ONLY after you provide feedback. You may use your credit points for future purchase of any TPT products! If you decide to purchase, please don't forget to leave feedback, a fair rating and a fair comment Click HERE for more information about TPT credits.
Be the first to know about new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. You will now receive email updates about this store.