Growth Mindset: Inspirational People (Readings and Activities)
I do this activity with my students to help build in them a growth mindset-that being smart and achieving great things doesn’t just happen-that you have to work hard for it and you have to try again and again.
Included are 25 one-page biographies of highly successful people. They are a mix of company owners, musicians, athletes, politicians, actresses, writers, inventors, designers and many more. They include men and women from all different ethnicities who experienced failure or hardship before they found success, fame and fortune.
I either do this activity one of two ways:
1. I hand out a different short biography and a page of quotes to each student. Then I have them share their person with their classmates before completing the written activities.
2. I create a packet for each student (or 1 per partnership) of all the biographies and the quotes. I have them read one or two biographies a day until all have been read, then I have them
complete the activities.
The activities that go with the readings include:
1. A three-page short answer activity to reflect on what was read and learned (includes 10 questions).
2. A quote activity to reflect on an inspirational quote said by one of the people read about.
3. A page of 12 different growth mindset badges that you can hand out to students when they display thinking with a growth mindset.