Also included in
- This Social-Emotional Learning Children's Book Companion Bundle includes 40 book companions on popular children’s books that relate to emotions, self-regulation, growth mindset, respect and manners, friendship, self-esteem and self-love, kindness, and empathy. ⭐Get ready to revolutionize your read a$64.00$120.00Save $56.00
Do your students need help showing a growth mindset? This growth mindset resource includes 5 book companions on popular children’s books that relate to having a growth mindset, the power of yet, making mistakes, and good choices (Bubble Gum Brain, The Dot, The Bad Seed, The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes, and The Magical Yet).
Children will participate in classroom discussions and book chats, share their thoughts in written form, and participate in fun, engaging activities that build a growth mindset, emotional awareness, and social skills.
Each book companion includes a detailed lesson plan, guided questions, anchor chart, concept posters, writing responses, and follow-up activities (printable and digital included). Great for distance learning or in-class teaching of social-emotional skills!
♥♥The mind+heart Social Emotional Learning Book Companion BUNDLE is available for a SPECIAL DISCOUNT. Get your entire year’s worth of popular SEL children's book (40 included) lessons and activities to revolutionize your read-aloud time TODAY! ♥♥
1. Bubble Gum Brain by Julia Cook
This lesson is about the two types of mindsets (growth and fixed). Children will learn the difference between a growth (“bubble gum”) and fixed (“brick”) mindset. They will work to develop a bubble gum brain through new experiences and making mistakes.
2. The Magical Yet by Angela DiTerlizzi
The lesson is about the power of YET. Children will understand the power of the word “YET” and practice using the word YET and developing a growth mindset when faced with challenges and making goals.
3. The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes by Pett & Rubinstein
This lesson teaches us about the importance of making mistakes. Children will learn that it is okay to make mistakes and how to handle them. They will be encouraged to strive to do their personal best and use positive self-talk.
4. The Dot by Peter Reynolds
This lesson inspires children to take risks with their learning and to try new things. They will be encouraged to get started when they feel stuck and build their self-esteem.
5. The Bad Seed by Jory John
The lesson is about making good choices. Children will understand the difference between good and bad choices, and learn to make good choices. They will be encouraged to self-reflect and grow after making mistakes or bad choices.
Included in this jam-packed SEL Growth Mindset book companion pack:
- Lessons and activities that focus on 5 Children’s books related to growth mindset
- Each book companion comes with a detailed lesson plan, book chat cards to guide a discussion, anchor chart, and book response (writing or collage)
- 4 follow-up activities are included for every book (many in digital format)
- Book companion guide with safe links for easy viewing
- Google Slides ready for use in Google Classroom
- Images for use in Seesaw
- Interactive PowerPoint file of the digital templates for use in your preferred platform
**Check out the detailed PREVIEW for a thorough look into what this resource includes!**
There is a detailed lesson plan for each book with “Book Chat” cards and questions to guide your discussion before, during, and after reading. An interactive anchor chart and writing activity are included that focus on the social-emotional skill presented in the book and encourage children to express their thinking. This is an excellent way to incorporate social-emotional learning into your ELA block each week!
Each book comes with 4 follow-up activities to build upon the book’s social-emotional lesson. A fun variety of activities are included for independent, partner, and small group use. These high-interest activities are a great way to extend the book’s discussion and build the social-emotional skills kids need!
Book companions come with a digital anchor chart or interactive poster slides, writing template, and additional digital activities. These are ready in Google Slides™ for use in Google Classroom™. You will be provided with instructions on how to access and a link to create a copy. The digital pages are great for use during remote teaching, distance learning, and in a one-to-one classroom!
Why You Need This Book Companion Resource:
♥ The children’s books in this book companion resource have been carefully chosen as they cover the most important topics that we often do not have time to teach (SEL ones).
♥ It provides an opportunity to have meaningful discussions and use impactful activities that build important social and emotional skills a child needs. Children need to build their emotional awareness and these lessons and activities will guide them there!
♥ Since you are using literature to teach, you are covering important English Language Arts standards and building children’s literacy skills.
♥ It provides a TON of variety for each book, keeping things fresh and engaging for kids!
♥ As it includes printable and digital activities, this resource is great for use during distance learning, homeschooling, and in one-to-one classrooms.
Suggestions on How to Use:
- Each lesson starts with a book chat that continues during and after reading a book. There are questions included to guide your discussion.
- There is an anchor chart idea provided to enhance the book’s lesson.
- A follow-up writing activity can be used to extend the discussion.
- There are 4 activities for each children’s book. Some include digital options.
- I suggest reading 1 book per week and doing the lesson. Use the extra activities to reinforce the topic covered in the story throughout the week.
- Differentiated templates included. Please choose what fits best with your students’ abilities and needs.
- The lessons and activities work great for after morning meetings or end of the day lessons, school counselors and classroom teachers, and children in K-2.
Don’t own a copy of a book? No problem! Safe links to video recordings of books being read aloud are included, as well as a book list of more books to use during your lessons.
Looking for more Social-Emotional Learning lessons and activities? Check out the curriculum that is needed in ALL classrooms -> The BEST-SELLING mind+heart curriculum available for K-2 and grades 3-5. This curriculum would make the perfect addition to your SEL instruction with the book companions included in this bundle!
Related SEL Products that work great with this resource!
Stay connected with Proud to be Primary
♥Click HERE to follow our store and receive notifications of new product releases, sales, and freebies.
♥Join our email list and get weekly teacher tip emails and access to our FREE resource library.
♥Visit our website at Proud to be Primary for tons of engaging ideas for teaching kids in the classroom!
♥Join our Facebook group and connect with thousands PROUD primary teachers like yourself.
Questions, suggestions, and feedback are always welcome.
Just use the “Product Q&A” tab and I will get back to you as fast as I can!
Please ask all questions before purchasing or email me at email@example.com.
©2013 to Present - Proud to be Primary - Elyse Rycroft