This BUNDLE includes:
1)a complete and fully integrated 156-page unit for teaching “Growth and Changes in Animals;"
2) a math package with 80+ word problems to deepen and extend your science teaching for this unit;
3) a complete bulletin board set about frogs that teaches non-fiction text features;
4)a bonus "birds fast fact cards" inquiry package!
======ABOUT THE SCIENCE=======
This is a complete and fully integrated 156-page unit for teaching “Growth and Changes in Animals."
It has been carefully crafted to give you everything you need to meet Ontario’s science curriculum expectations
for grade 2’s “Understanding Life Systems" strand.
This package contains resources for teaching:
* Animal classifications
* Animal life cycles (including metamorphosis)
* Animal body and behaviour adaptations (including hibernation and migration)
* The problem of endangered animals
* The impact animals and humans have on each other
The unit’s formative activities all lead into the summative task: creating a poster about an animal of choice including its classification, life cycle, adaptations, unique features, status (i.e. endangered? No concern?) and more!
A marking checkbric for the unit and the summative task are included.
Integrated? With What?
=== GET THE BUNDLE and receive over 80 math word problems specifically designed to go with this package!!===
There’s NEVER enough time!!
That’s why I believe in cross-curricular integration as much as possible. In this unit you will find:
* Over two dozen carefully crafted non-fiction reading texts
with features such as diagrams, captions, text boxes, maps and so on to help you teach the content. Beautiful photographs illustrate each text. No endless searching for that perfect library book! Why not take this opportunity to teach the features of non-fiction texts? Get my bulletin board set
that is designed for just that purpose (and features FROGS!)
* Multiple opportunities to strengthen mapping skills
relating to animal migration patterns and habitats!
* Writing! Opinion writing (are zoos helpful or harmful to animals?); honing research skills; writing non-fiction texts.
* Some articles also cross-connect with other science strands!
======ABOUT THE MATH=======
This math bundle deepens and extends your science teaching for the “Growth and Changes in Animals"
unit. Rich word problems are included for each strand of math!
How to use this package: Here are two ways you could use this package; however feel free to adapt it in a way that best suits your learners.
1) Revisit and review MATH concepts throughout the year (called recursive or “spiral” math). Use this whole package or portions of it while you are in the science unit, conducting mini-lessons on the math concepts to enable students to complete the problems. This is effective for keeping strategies and concepts fresh in students’ minds while they continue into new material.
2) Revisit or think ahead about SCIENCE strands, extending the science learning throughout the year. Use the math problems when you focus on a particular math skill or strand, revisiting the science learning from earlier in the year. If you haven’t started this unit yet, you will be equipping students with richer schema for when you begin the unit later!
Many of the math problems supplied in this package are offer several different entry points at varying degrees of difficulty. At times, problems are open ended in a way that students can choose numbers they feel confident working with.
Here's what you're getting:
Number Sense and Numeration
** More than 50 word problem addressing: quantity and counting relationships; addition and subtraction; repeated addition (exploring multiplication), and fractions
Patterning and Algebra
** Ten problems addressing: repeating, growing, and shrinking patterns; symmetry.
Data Management and Probability
** About ten problems addressing: reading pie graphs, making pictographs and bar graphs; interpreting data; probability
** 12 problems in other strands also include measurement
** 3 more problems focusing solely on measurement
** Measurement topics: time, length, area, mass, capacity.
======ABOUT THE BULLETIN BOARD=======
This bulletin board set is designed to support teaching of non-fiction text features while reinforcing key science content. Ideal for a class studying Growth and Changes in Animals!
Simply print, cut, laminate, and post! Leave up all year to support non-fiction reading.
- Bulletin Board Title: Non-Fiction Text Features
- Decorative corners and arrows in green and white
- Non-fiction text features labels for bulletin board:
Sample texts to display:
-Frog Life Cycle: Diagram with heading (two options supplied), text boxes
-Frog Photograph with caption
-Green Frog in North America: Map, heading, text
-Features of a Frog: Illustration, heading, labels, bold print(show in CAPITALS)
-Table of Contents with heading and list
-Threatened Animal Species: Graph with heading
======ABOUT THE FAST FACT CARDS=======
This package will support your teaching about the adaptations of animals and the wonder of birds!
Here's what is included:
Non-fiction texts in the form of “fast fact cards” about 8 uniquely wonderful birds!
Organizer that follows the format of the fast fact cards to enable students to research and record information about a bird – or any animal – of their choice.
Height and wingspan provided in centimeters; weight given in grams or kilograms; bonus wingspan activity
Collect data from the fast fact cards and graph the weight and length of the birds.
BONUS Wingspan activity:
use scale to determine how BIG the bird’s wingspan REALLY is!
Math activities: Sort the cards in order of the bird’s…
- Other rule
Have the children create a T-chart and record the wingspan measurement of the various birds.
Formative research task: Research a bird (other than one of the examples given) or a different animal with interesting adaptations. Create a fast-fact card for this animal using the template supplied. Draw or print a photograph of the animal to include on the card.
Did you know this is available as a BUNDLE
combined with math? Over 80 rich word problems with additional science information is added to all you are getting here in the bundle.
Also available as a 4 in 1 bundle
with the non-fiction text features bulletin board
and birds fast-fact card inquiry package!
Interested in other Ontario grade 2 science units?
Air and Water BUNDLE
, Complete Science Unit
, Math Word Problems Package
, and FREEBIE: Drought
Movement (Simple Machines) BUNDLE
, Complete Science Unit, Math Word Problems Package
, and FREEBIE: Pulleys in Nepal
Don't Miss Out:
Leave feedback on this item to earn credit toward future TpT purchases!
I appreciate your feedback. I like to know how I can develop my products to best suit a variety of learners!
Be the first to know about my new products and freebies by following my store page! Click the green star near my store name to become a follower.
Feel free to e-mail me with any questions about this product at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here We Grow