Testing and curricula have adamantly moved ELA teachers and students to writing for analysis: Common Core, PARCC, state tests, end of course tests, AP Language, AP Literature, the new SAT essay, etc. Students will encounter countless tasks that have them inspect a text for its overall theme, thesis, tone, or purpose and then support their interpretations with explanations of various parts of the text.
These documents will give students models and guidance to complete these tasks successfully. I have used them with all levels of students from 8th to 12th grade.
This bundle includes
- Guides for seeing analysis in three stages
- Nonfiction analysis model
- Two fiction analysis models
- Three different ways to include textual evidence (w/ models)
- Action verb list with model sentences for analysis
- Transition list
- Topic sentence training and models
- Guide and models for punctuating direct quotes