OLD LADY CLOVER * Guided Coding Stories are all about combining stories and coding together in a strategic way so students can practice thinking like a computer (computational thinking) in a way that seems very familiar to them.
What is included?
• Table of Contents
• Teacher Guide to explain teaching coding
• Printable vocabulary cards
• Printable coding language cards
• Print and Prep grid pieces
• Day 1 Activities - Read the story and complete the guided coding story grids
• Day 2 Activities - Using the grid from Day 1, write the algorithm
• Day 3 Activities - Story comprehension with graphing skills
• Day 1-2-3 Activities (in 3 differentiated levels)
• Level 1 – Errorless / Matching
• Level 2 – Basic Coding with pictures + words
• Level 3 – Higher level coding with pictures + words
• Build Your Own Grid
• End of Lesson Comprehension Exit Ticket
• Extras - Large story sequencing cards
Please note this is for a digital download. No hard good will be sent to you. You will need to print and assemble.
WHY CODE IN SPECIAL ED?
Coding with students is really just like sequencing. The vocabulary is a little different because we are using math and computer science terms instead of language terms.
For example, a coding sequence when put together, creates an algorithm that the computer understands as a program. In real life, a sequence is a set of instructions or steps that WE (instead of a computer) understand.
Basically, we are asking our students to be computational thinkers – to think like a computer.
Just like with the sequence of a story, if any of the steps are missing, the story is incomplete.
With coding, once the program is run, (the programmer presses start) the computer will go through the whole sequence (algorithm) without stopping. If there is a mistake (bug) in the algorithm then the end result will be wrong.
If a story sequence is missing one of the steps, then the end can’t happen the way it was meant to happen.
• ISTE: 1.a, 1.c, 4.b, 6.a, 6.c, 6.d
• CSTA: CT.L1:3-01, CL.L1:3-02, CPP.L1:6-05, CPP.L1:6-06, CT.L2-01, CT.L2-06, CT.L2-08, CT.L2-12
• NGSS: K-2-PS3-2, 3-5-ETS1-2
• CC Math Standards: 1.OA.A.1 2.OA.A.1 3.OA.3
• CC ELA: SL.1.1, L.1.6 SL.2.1, L.2.6 SL.3.1, L.3.6
Connect with me:
Connect with Brittany:
Don't forget about the green ★ to follow my store to get notifications of new resources and freebies!
Thanks for Looking and Happy Teaching!