This is a guided reading lesson plan to teach students how to use visual cues, such as pictures, title, book summary on the back cover, and so on) to help make sense of the text. This lesson plan was designed to be extremely flexible and therefore it can be used with just about any book on just about any topic. Therefore, you can use this plan (and self-assessment) over and over again!
The document includes:
- Detailed guided reading lesson plan with differentiation ideas/comments
- Activities that are student-designed to extend understanding and to share knowledge with others in the class
- Ideas for other related centers while the teacher is working with this guided reading group
- Self-assessment form for the students to complete
- Discussion questions (specific to a book and a version that can be used with any book) that can be used at any time, but was designed to be used by students at a listening center during this lesson
Please note, it will be more helpful if any books chosen for this lesson plan are not only at an appropriate reading level, but also related to the unit/lesson plan topic. This will help students make connections and provide purpose in re-reading the text because the information can be applied to other lessons/projects throughout the unit of inquiry.