This comprehensive reading lesson is designed for small group Guided Reading instruction. The lesson plan includes a focused reading strategy, comprehension prompts, vocabulary building activities, graphic organizers, vocabulary cards, a quiz and writing activity. The activities provide concrete evidence of comprehension and vocabulary building with multiple opportunities for assessment. Note: The lesson could also be used as a whole class read aloud.
The lesson follows a before–during-after reading format and typically takes about 2-3 days for 20 minutes each day. The book is not included. Answer keys are included.
BOOK: Ming Lo Moves the Mountain by Arnold Lobel (ISBN 978-0590339940)
GUIDED READING LEVEL J (typically grades 2-3-4, can be used in K-1)
READING STRATEGY: Sequence the Story
VOCABULARY: cast, wisps, billowed, steep, twine, possessions
WRITING: Paragraph with 5+ sentences, 2+ reasons, 2+ vocabulary words
- Guided Reading Lesson Plan: Full lesson plan on one page.
- Sequence the Story graphic organizer: Students determine Ming Lo’s problem and then write, in sequential order, the ways that Ming Lo tries to solve the problem.
- Vocabulary Activities: Two options for graphic organizers.
- Vocabulary Cards: For use with vocabulary games or in station activities (see my TpT store for ideas and resources).
- Writing Activity: Prompt for writing a short paragraph.
- Vocabulary and Comprehension Quiz: Use after reading and group discussion.
- Answer Keys and Writing Rubric
INSTRUCTION (3 days, 20 minutes per day)
Before Reading (Day 1)
- Provide a brief introduction of the text and genre.
- Introduce and explain Sequence the Story organizer and vocabulary organizer.
During Reading (Day 1-2)
- Students read the text silently at their own pace. Listen and confer with individual students, use the comprehension prompts to help them think deeper about the story. Assist students in determining meanings of words.
- Students complete the Sequence the Story Organizer as they read.
After Reading (Day 2-3)
- Discuss the text using the discussion prompts and graphic organizer.
- Discuss vocabulary words and meaning as used in the text.
- Give quiz.
- Have students respond to the writing prompt by writing a short paragraph.
- Use vocabulary cards in station activities.
ABOUT THE BOOK and AUTHOR
Published in 1982, Ming Lo Moves the Mountain tells the story of a Chinese couple living at the base of a large mountain. The mountain blocks the sun, rocks hit their house and rain falls from the clouds around the mountain. Ming Lo and his wife decide they need to move the mountain and seek help from a village wise man. After taking the wise man’s advice several times, the couple grows frustrated that the mountain is not moving. In the end, the wise man has the couple do a dance that makes the couple move their house far from the mountain.
Born in 1933, author and illustrator Arnold Lobel is best known for his book Frog and Toad, which was a Caldecott Honor book in 1971. In 1981, he won a Caldecott medal for the book Fables. He wrote or illustrated almost 100 books.