PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This comprehensive reading lesson is designed for small group Guided Reading instruction. The lesson could also be used as a whole class read aloud. The lesson plan includes a focused reading strategy, comprehension prompts, vocabulary building activities, graphic organizers, a quiz and writing activity. The activities provide concrete evidence of comprehension and vocabulary building.
The lesson follows a before-during-after reading format and typically takes about 2-3 days for 20 minutes each day. The book is not included. Answer keys are included.
BOOK: The Magic Fish by Freya Littledale (ISBN 9780590411004)
GUIDED READING LEVEL L (typically grades 2-3-4, suitable for grades K-1)
VOCABULARY: begs, hut, castle, throne, crown, angry
WRITING: paragraph with 5+ sentences, 2+ vocabulary words, 2+ reasons
- Guided Reading Lesson Plan: Full lesson plan on one page.
- Moral of the Story graphic organizer: Students identify the wishes made by the old couple, what happens after each wish is granted and draw a picture. Students answer questions to demonstrate their understanding of the moral (lesson) of the story.
- Vocabulary Activities: Two options for graphic organizers.
- Vocabulary Cards: For use with additional vocabulary games or activities.
- Writing Activity: Students respond to the prompt by writing a short paragraph. Students cut and glue the paragraph into their notebooks OR glue to colored paper for display.
- Vocabulary & Comprehension Quiz: Use after reading and group discussion.
- Answer Keys & Writing Rubric/Checklist: Answers and point values provided.
Before Reading (Day 1)
- Provide a brief introduction of the text and genre.
- Introduce and explain Moral of the Story organizer and vocabulary organizer.
- Optional: Explicitly teach vocabulary before reading.
During Reading (Day 1-2)
- Students read the text silently at their own pace. Listen and confer with individual students, use the comprehension prompts to help them think deeper about the story.
- Assist students in determining meanings of words.
After Reading (Day 2-3)
- Discuss the text using the discussion prompts and graphic organizer.
- Discuss vocabulary words and meaning as used in the text.
- Give quiz.
- Have students respond to the writing prompt by writing a short paragraph.
- Optional: Use vocabulary cards in a spelling, vocabulary or word work station.
Freya Littledale is the author of more than 30 books. First published in 1967 (republished in 1992), The Magic Fish is a timeless tale of greed. An old fisherman catches a magic fish. His wife realizes that the magic fish can grant wishes. Students enjoy reading about the wife’s continuous demands for more wishes. The story provides a good opportunity for students to reflect on greed and what they would wish for if given the chance.
- Ming Lo Moves the Mountain (Level J)
- Mr. Peabody’s Apples (Level N)
- Crow Boy (Level L)
- It’s Mine (Level P)