The guided reading lesson plans will contain the following components:
1. Familiar Reading: The children read familiar books for 4 minutes while teacher takes anecdotal notes.
2. Introduction to New Book: A summary statement and personal connection question is presented to the students in order to activate their schema prior to reading the book.
3. Picture Preview: The teacher will guide the students on a "picture walk" through the book using provided guided questioning to encourage discussion and creating meaning about the illustrations.
4. Anchor Words (vocabulary): This is a list of vocabulary or sight words that the students need to be familiar with in order to read the story. The children are asked to "frame" these words with their fingers in the book after they discuss the meaning.
5. Whisper Reading: The children whisper read the story while the teacher facilitates reading strategies which each of the students in the group.
6. Story Extension Activity: This is an activity the children will complete after reading the book as an extension of their understating of the story or a skill modeled in the book.