H-R Diagram ALL-IN-ONE Lesson | HR Diagram, Hertzsprung Russell Diagram
What educators are saying
Also included in
- I LOVE Astronomy! One of my life's missions is to help more people understand the wonders of space and appreciate the Earth. I hope these Astronomy resources will find a home in your classroom and spark curiosity and excitement in your students.This zipped folder will include all of my present andPrice $225.00Original Price $283.00Save $58.00
- If you are overwhelmed or intimidated by teaching Astronomy or Space Science you are in luck! This bundle of resources includes everything you could ever ask for: lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, student notes, practice questions, formative assessment pieces, and creative activities. BONUS: APrice $145.00Original Price $180.00Save $35.00
This is the ultimate lesson for teaching about luminosity and the H-R Diagram! In this lesson your students will learn about luminosity; apparent brightness and absolute brightness; H-R diagram, the relationship between a star's luminosity and its surface temperature; why so many stars are found along the main sequence, why stars move off of the main sequence. This bundle of resources includes a lesson plan, PowerPoint, student notes, practice questions and formative assessment pieces – all are completely editable!
This lesson bundle also includes two amazing graphing activities. One plots actual star data, and is useful as homework or as an assignment. The second, a celebrity graphing activity, plots a star's hotness vs. star power. This is a fun and surprisingly accurate way to introduce the H-R diagram. Like all resources in this bundle, this is editable so you can switch the names of the celebrities - include your local stars, your principal, or yourself (I'm NOT brave enough to do that!).
Student learning goals for the H-R Diagram Lesson:
- compare absolute and apparent brightness/luminosity
- categorize stars based on features
- explain relationships between star properties (mass, luminosity, size, mass and lifetime)
Please examine the images and preview above to see how this resource can help you and your students.
In the zipped file, you will receive:
★ 2-page lesson plan (PDF and editable Microsoft Word).
★ 29-slide editable PowerPoint presentation with hyperlinks to YouTube videos.
★ 7-page editable student notes (PDF and editable Microsoft Word) that coordinate with the PowerPoint in a fill-in-the-blank style, that includes 8 homework/practice questions (5 pages of notes, 2 pages of homework questions). A teacher version with blanks filled in is also provided in both file types.
★ 21 pages of editable task cards that can be used as formative assessments. 8 pages of quick checks to be used during class and 8 pages of retrieval practice questions to be later in the unit. For ease of use, these are included as all-different on a page, and all-the-same on a page (PDF file and editable PowerPoint file).
★ Two graphing activities: plotting an H-R diagram using star data (can be used in class, as homework or as an assignment) and a celebrity H-R diagram (used as an intro). 3 student pages, 2 pages of answer keys. (PDF file and editable PowerPoint file).
ALL RESOURCES ARE EDITABLE.
This lesson can further be supported by the H-R Diagram Doodle Note and Star Name Game Challenge.
This resource is part of my Astronomy all-in-one Lesson Bundle that is supported by (but does NOT include) my Astronomy Doodle Notes Bundle.
If you are interested in using the doodle notes with these lessons your best value is to purchase the Astronomy Growing Bundle. This bundle includes all the lessons, PowerPoint presentations, practice and activities as well as all the doodle notes and anchor charts. When additional lessons are added, you can be notified by following my store.
You can see the other resources in the Astronomy all-in-one Lesson Bundle by clicking the links below. Please follow my store for notifications when new resources are added to the bundle.
★ Hertzsprung-Russell Diagrams (H-R Diagrams)