In a democratic society, citizens (including journalists!) have the right to know how the government conducts its business.
This full-color one-page handout provides scholastic journalists with:
• a clear summary of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
• how to obtain access to government records and documents
• a sample letter requesting a public document
• an explanation of rights to attend a public meeting
• Resources to learn more about FOIA and state-by-state open records and open meetings laws and exemptions.
Scholastic journalists may be particularly timid to exercise their rights under FOIA. This easy-to-understand handout provides them with step-by-step instructions and resources for additional information about student press rights.