Hatchet by Gary Paulsen will be a breeze to teach with this ready-to-use unit plan that has everything you will need to teach the award-winning novel. With over 200 pages/slides of eye-catching PowerPoint presentations, printable assignments, questions, vocabulary, and interactive class activities, you will have everything you need to teach Hatchet to your students in a fun and engaging way!
FEEDBACK ON THIS UNIT:
♥ Love this bundle. It is a fabulous resource. Whenever I am looking for a great and complete resource, I look at Presto Plans first!
♥ Such an awesome unit!!! I wish I had units like this for all the novels I do with my classes. You do GREAT work!!
♥ Thank you for saving me when I need a Unit plan! Awesome activities! Very engaging-A+++++
♥ This is great! Great activities with tons of choices for lessons.
♥ Absolutely loved this. One of the best units I have purchased on here. Students really dug deep with some of the questions!
Included In Your Purchase (Click Titles For More Information):
Introductory Powerpoint Presentation:
The presentation includes fun pre-reading discussion, an author biography, a fun review quiz, genre, and background information on the novel.
Chapter Summary Cards:
Includes printable cards that you can keep handy for those students who struggle with reading comprehension. They can also be useful if a student is looking for a particular part of the plot. They can check the summary cards to find the correct chapter!
Reading Quizzes With Answer Key
This resource includes 7 reading quizzes for the novel. They can be used as a quick check for students' understanding of the chapters.
Each of the reading quizzes include 6 multiple choice questions and two quotes from the chapters that students must respond to. For the quotes, students are required to explain what is happening at this particular part of the plot. A detailed answer key is included for each!
Vocabulary In Context:
• A Powerpoint presentation explaining to students how to determine the meaning of an unknown word using context (using synonyms, antonyms, examples, general meaning)
• A Hatchet Vocabulary Booklet for students with quotes from the novel that use challenging vocabulary. Students use context to determine the meaning of the bolded word. There is also a place for the actual definition to be inserted where students can look up the words, or you can go over them as a class
• A 36 slide Powerpoint presentation to go over each of the vocabulary words with definitions for students to easily understand the new terms
Chapter Questions & Answers:
• Reading Questions Handout
• A ready-to-print set of reading questions that include basic comprehension questions and ‘Digging Deeper’ questions.
• Answer key for teacher reference
• A PowerPoint presentation that includes all the answers to the questions for easy review with the whole class.
Video Journal Prompts:
Access to YouTube is required.
Included is a Powerpoint presentation with 7 video journal prompts to use. Students watch a brief clip, and then complete a journal based on a prompt. The prompts and videos connect in someway with the content from different chapters in the novel.
29 slide Powerpoint presentation the most important aspects of the novel organized by chapter groups. The notes address characterization, theme, setting, and much more! Your students will have a deeper understanding of the novel after you use this resource!
In Class Activities
Wilderness Survival Quiz – students complete an online quiz to see how well they would survive in the wild. They also have a reflective activity sheet they fill in after learning their results.
Post Plane Crash Planning Activity – students work in groups to problem solve what Brian could do with the items he finds in his pockets after the crash.
Brian Character Development Activity – students analyze how Brian has changed over the course of the novel.
The Survival Pack Activity – students brainstorm what they think will be included in the survival pack providing reasons for their choices.
Character Interview Role-Play Activity – students interview Brian after he is rescued and act out the interview in front of the class.
- A Cry In The Wild / Hatchet Movie Novel Comparison Sheet
- A Cry In The Wild Movie Review Sheet
- Plot Diagram Sheet with answer key
Essay Writing Resources:
• Hatchet essay topics for students to choose from
• MLA Formatting guidebook
• 2 Essay graphic organizers
© Presto Plans
★CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE 10 FREE ENGLISH TEACHER RESOURCES!