"BEST HOLES RESOURCE YET!!! LOVE IT" - TPT customer -
This Smart Board Notebook file breaks the book Holes by Louis Sacher into daily chunks. Each day, a different reading skill objective is addressed.
The lessons are structured as follows:
- Reading/thinking cycle through 2-4 (short) chapters
[ Each reading/thinking cycle includes Active Reading questions (connect, evaluate, predict, infer, etc) as well as the expected page numbers for the next chunk of text to be read. Page numbers are based on the Yearling publication. ]
- Reading skill objective instruction/practice
- Word bank (vocabulary)
Note that the lessons assume that the teacher will read aloud some portions of the book and that the students will read silently, in class, other portions of the book. There is NO HOMEWORK expected. (Though a teacher is obviously free to create companion pieces for this file.)
Depending on reading skills and speed, some "daily" lessons may take two days. For example, for some reason this year it has taken me three days to get through the first two lessons, whereas in the past it has always taken me just two.
Included is also a graphic organizer in the form of a timeline for students to track the various story lines and connections throughout the novel.
Finally there is an extra file addressing three reading skills (Sequencing, Cause & Effect, and Main Idea).
The zip file includes:
- Holes.notebook (main file; Smart Notebook file)
- Holes Notebook.pdf (PDF version of the main file)
- Holes Timeline.pdf (graphic organizer)
- Holes Timeline KEY.pdf
- Holes extras.pdf (3 extra skills worksheets; key included)
- Holes Read Me.txt (info about fonts used)
- Holes Answers.pdf (Answers to select questions in the Notebook file)
NOTE: The main file in this package is a SMART NOTEBOOK file. If you do not have that program, I have also included a PDF version of that file.
I have taught Holes using this file numerous times, and students who have read the novel in class before always appreciate the novel on a much deeper level.